Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Changing energy supplier
  • hunterst
    Free Member

About to change energy suppliers – we are currently with Bitish Gas

Looks like i can save about £450 a year with … Bulb.
    Never heard of them

Is there any danger in moving to a small energy supplier – power cuts etc?

Drac

Nope they’re resellers not proucerrs, I’ve just switched them funnily enough. Got a £50 credit too thanks to a referal code.

falkirk-mark

I have just moved to the Peoples energy co and my account no is under 2500 so I will see how that goes.

dannybgoode

I’ve stayed with First Utility now for a few years. Same sort of setup – never had an issue, service has always been exemplary and the only minor issue I have ever had is trying to explain to their Indian call centre operative what an Aga is

csb

Depending how much credit you build up with them on direct debits, you might be risking losing it if they went bust. Happened to me on a commercial contract once, lost hundreds.

theotherjonv

changing wasn’t an issue, very easily handled. And it’s all the same gas in the same pipes, just a different billing operation (and price)

Getting my accrued credit back out of my previous supplier (First Utility, FWIW) was a different matter. Took months of phone calls, misinformation, finally resolved with a cheque a week or so back.

Next (minor) gripe with my new supplier is that they are using past usage to calculate my monthly payments – but I had a new efficient boiler installed earlier in the year which by my reckoning based on month to month usage comparisons is 40% more efficient. But they want me to continue to pay for an estimated usage based on past history, hence I’m building up another large credit balance over these warmer months July -> Oct that won’t get all used up in the cold months any more because I’m using 40% less. Which at a rough count means they’ll be holding about £250 of my money for me until they can ‘review’ usage and correct.

Seems to be the business model, was practically admitted by the guy at F-U, that they want to hold your money as long as possible, I assume they invest it in future gas deals or something.

philtricklebank

Been with Good Energy for years. 100% renewable sourcing and no nuclear. They’ve been excellent.

nickc

Looks like i can save about £450 a year with … Bulb.

they’re the ones that are committing to 100% renewable? (10% on Gas) . Although as I understand it, their tariffs are variable (ie you can’t fix it at all)

so if renewable is important, and you can cope with a variable tariff, you could save some money. Don’t know what their customer service is like though.

Christ, I need to get out more… 🙄

footflaps

Depending how much credit you build up with them on direct debits, you might be risking losing it if they went bust.

I suspect you’re covered as a domestic customer. Our supplier folded (GB Energy) and the regulator just persuaded another supplier (Coop) to take everyone on with the exact same contracts – was totally painless move, we did nothing, just got a letter saying our supplier had changed, everything was as is.

https://www.cooperativeenergy.coop/why-us/GB-Energy/

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I use this to compare prices.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

It will also monitor the prices and tell you when you’re paying too much and then you can swap again. Works very well for me.

Drac

Yup not fixed but you’re also not locked in so can change if need be.

hunterst
    Free Member

Thanks – been a big help.

I might look at getting a fixed tariff.

Will sort over the weekend.

Captjon – if i go with bulb i will use your referral code.

ross980
    Free Member

It will also monitor the prices and tell you when you’re paying too much and then you can swap again. Works very well for me.
    I do this too. My recent British Gas fix comes to an end in the next few weeks, which would see my bills increase by £300-400/year. I considered Bulb but switched to OVO* which is fixed for the next 2 years and was only a pound or two more per month. If you think that works for you be quick though, the tariff ends tomorrow!
    *is also the MSE recommended tariff

nwmlarge
    Free Member

GlennQuagmire – Member

thanks for that, very useful. Incidentally, I am on virtually the lowest tariff I can be at the mo with a potential saving of £10 a year, not worth the bother of swapping right now.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Don’t forget to check Topcashback, there’s a weekend promo that needs activating for bonus £3 cashback for a single qualifying purchase over 15 squids excluding VAT&del.

sadexpunk

just been looking at switching to bulb. whats my best method? through moneysavingexpert or direct? MSE says theres a £25 cashback after 3 months but im not sure if once ive put bank details in ill still be able to use the code above ^^^ to get me and a stw member £50 off….

Mowgli
    Free Member

My gas Zog fixed period is ending next month. Does anyone know where you can find a comparison site which lists standing charges and unit prices? All the usual ones just give a projected monthly cost, which invariably is miles off the actual. Current deal is 8p/day and 2.5p/kWhr, so it’s going to be quite an increase when this runs out – cheapest I’ve found is 15p/day and 3.5p/kWhr.

footflaps

All the usual ones just give a projected monthly cost, which invariably is miles off the actual.

They should use your figure for KWhs and the use each suppliers daily and unit costs to calc the figure. Last one I used did this and then showed you the calcs. Can’t recall which one I used though, poss moneysavingsupermarket?

wonnyj
    Free Member

What rates are you paying for electricity? I was surprised when recently becoming a bill payer again at how expensive electricity has become:

Standing charge: 26p/day
    Unit price: 16p/kWh

with Ovo on green tariff. Previous owners of the house were paying very similar with E.On.

Jamie
    Free Member

Electricity:

Standing: 18.9000p
    Unit: 11.9700p

Gas:

Standing: 18.9000p
    Unit: 2.8035p

With Avro.

Gary_M
    Free Member

My current deal is due to expire end of this month and bulb appear to be giving the best deal. I’ve had a look on their site and it doesn’t ask for any details of current usage before giving a quote which is a bit odd and then they don’t do direct debit payments which also seems odd.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I was put off the Bulb website for the same reasons. Went with Zog again.

phiiiiil

We’ve just moved away from Ovo due to their high electricity prices on the green tariff. It doesn’t help that they quote prices excluding VAT in a few places which seems really cheeky if it’s allowed at all.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Next best deal for me is staying with my current supplier, so it’s likely I’ll just do that.

footflaps

Currently fixed at

Gas 2.59p/kWh and 19.569p/day
    Elec 12.08p/kWh and 19.569p/day

Coop Energy.

Was close enough to the cheapest when I fixed that it wasn’t worth moving (2 ish months ago).

nre
    Free Member

I set the ball rolling with a switch to bulb about a week ago using a referral link to get a £50 credit. You won’t be able to combine this with the cashback on offer through MSE, it’s one or the other…

user-removed
    Free Member

I used to do door to door sales for a large provider. One of those annoying beggars who turn up at teatime and ask you if you’d like to save money on your bills.

The training was an eye opener – a didactic script which had to be followed to the letter. You basically pretended to be a gas man, then followed up as if you were helping the homeowner by saving them money.

Most of the time, we really were saving them money but it didn’t feel right.

Thank the Lord for uswitch et al.

theotherjonv

Affect Energy, fixed to June 2018

Elec 11.996p /kwh and 23.8p / day

Gas 2.618p /kwh and 22.4p / day

both plus 5% VAT but minus £15/yr each for dual fuel by DD which has the effect of knocking the standing charge down by 4.1p / day

Drac

I’ve had a look on their site and it doesn’t ask for any details of current usage before giving a quote which is a bit odd and then they don’t do direct debit payments which also seems odd.

Yes it does.

It gives you a quick quote and then you select the refine details button.

unovolo
    Free Member

Electric
    Octopus 12M Fixed

Unit rate 12.75p per kWh
    Standing charge 18.90p per day.

Gas
    Octopus 12M Fixed

Unit rate 2.94p per kWh
    Standing charge 18.90p per day

Changed earlier this year from OVO who had gone a bit expensive, swap was painless and so far so good.

scuttler

Second MSE cheap energy club and also recommend you get (and maintain i.e. scribble down / save the statement) your consumption numbers annually for the most accurate pricing – definitely more helpful than estimating usage based on the size of your house or the cost of your bills.

dannybgoode

First Utility – whatever their longer fixed price tariff is

Electricity 11.060p + 24.4p p/d

Gas 2.33p and 20.84p p/d.

Always been good to deal with and have always emailed well ahead of the current deal expiring with details of their best new tariffs.

I shopped around a couple of times when deals were coming to an end but they were always there or thereabouts.

Jamie
    Free Member

When it starts to get in the realms of .5p difference, one might as well stay with the same provider and just be more mindful of energy use.

Drac

Can you not change and be mindful too?

MikeG

I’m probably going to be switching to bulb in the next couple of days, has anyone got a referral link they’d like to share 🙂

Drac

Yes but we don’t allow link on the forum itself, however check your private message. 😀

stevied
    Free Member

We’ll be moving into our new house soon so will need to choose a new supplier. What does the referral link to Bulb do?

Drac

You get £50 credit as does the referer

stevied
    Free Member

Ooh, that sounds good…if only there was someone who could send me a link 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Changing energy supplier’ is closed to new replies.