Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Changing drops to flat bars on a gravel/CX bike
  • legometeorology
    Free Member

So, I just built up a Kona Rove, and I really can’t seem to feel comfortable riding the drops on trails and I’m really craving a more MTB position.

I realise I can’t just go throwing flat bars on it as the reach and top tube are about 40mm shorter than an MTB of a similar size, but are there any flat bars that would work? I’m thinking something swept forward like a Fleegle, but more so.

Otherwise, I guess I go for some really flared bars like the On One Midge

Or go back to an MTB…

philjunior
    Free Member

It sounds like an MTB might be your best bet. Depending on your stem length you could just put a longer stem on, but if you’re feeling uncomfortable riding stuff in that position I’m not sure it’ll help much. An MTB will give you more secure handling off road no matter what you do.

You will get used to drops over time, depending on how uncomfortable you feel.

legometeorology
    Free Member

Yep, you may be right, I’m not sure. I’m perhaps seeking a do-it-all bike that doesn’t exist.

The loops I want to do on the Rove are 100-120km, starting from my doorstep — perhaps half road, half non-technical moorland stuff. But having been out at the weekend, I realise even the non-tech stuff is scary in the drops, once I’m coming downhill at speed with snow on the ground…

Perhaps a rigid 29er with fairly skinny tyres would be a better bet, but if I built up one of those I may immediately be regretting the long road slogs between my house and the moors…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

You need a cx with flats – a hybrid.

jimslade
    Free Member

You might miss the drops on the long road slogs though. I bought a Rove to do what sounds like the same type of riding. I swapped from a rigid 29er and at first found the Rove pretty unstable, falling off on the moors a few times not being used to the riding position. I found experimenting with tyre selection sorted that out. I put some fairly nobbly 42c tyres on and have been happy ever since.

My LBS suggested putting 650b wheel on the Rove with proper MTB tyres for the sort of riding I do, like the Surly Straggler, that might be what you’re after?

richardthird

It’s worth investigating the geometry a bit more I think. Another big advantage of a flat bar is easy cheap full hydro brakes.

I have 2 London Roads (sucker for punishment I know), one with 600mm flat bar and one with drops. Flats has a 20mm longer stem. Both ride lovely – flat for more off roady stuff, drop for more on road.

Previously had a Giant Rapid which is the flat bar version of the Defy. 20mm longer TT.

qwerty
    Free Member

How about trying some shallow flared drop bars? They offer a wider stance / more control in the drops whilst descending, loads out there in varying degrees of flare.

scotroutes

You could try some flared drops. I fitted Woodchippers and found they made a huge difference to comfort and control when descending off-road stuff.

Dickyboy

Alternatively try flat bars and see how you get on, i had flat bars on my genesis equilibrium for sometime, including a 6 day loaded tour of the Alps with no perceived problems

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

How about trying some shallow flared drop bars? They offer a wider stance / more control in the drops whilst descending, loads out there in varying degrees of flare.

+1 I have a drop-bar ATB, yet spend too much time on roads and tracks to enjoy a straight bar, hence considering wider and flared drops and/or a pair of inline/cross top levers

legometeorology
    Free Member

Great, thanks 🙂

It sounds like a shallow-flared-dropbar is worth trying. And good to hear someone else has gone from a 29er to a Rove for exactly the reason I have, so perhaps I should stick with it.

The other thing that attracts me is something like the Titec H-bar… that seems to give a more stretched aero position as well as a wider, flatter mtb stance

As for the wheels, I actually have a 650b on the front of it, but the 2016 Rove has rather strange tyre clearance so at the back I’m restricted to a 722 – 40mm (there’s still bags of clearance at the seatstays, but it’s tight at the chainstays and going 650b wouldn’t help this)

ton

I have just gone the other way on my tourer/hack bike.
    put some flared genetic drops on, removed flats at 1st, then jones loops. I like a change me……… 😆

selaciosa
    Free Member

I’d stick with it… you’ll get used to it. I love it when it gets nervy in the drops

dovebiker

If you’re riding on the road a bit, particularly into a stiff headwind you’ll probably appreciate the ability to get into a nice tuck and sticking a long stem on wouldn’t really work – a shallow, dirt drop bar that’s aligned to the top of the saddle would be a good place to start.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Changing drops to flat bars on a gravel/CX bike’ is closed to new replies.