Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Changing Careers and Current Job
  • will
    Free Member

Ok so i’ve been in my current job as a surveyor since graduating from Uni in 2011. Work in Central London, it’s a good job, pay is ok, work colleagues are great, the work is varied and I work very independently, which I like.

However recently i’ve become a bit bored with it and really want to work in the cycling industry(obviously)Plus there is some uncertainty about my department due to the business being sold and the new management team unsure about us…

I’ve just been sent a job for a Commercial Manager for a leading cycling event organiser. Now I have no experience is that at all, my degree was in surveying, but I am a keen cyclist and have been dealing with sales in my current job (which would be a part of this new job, although totally different)

My CV is quite upto date, and I feel I could do a good job of selling myself, however would it be pointless, would I be wasting my time?

Another point is that I’m quite good mates with my current boss, there is potentially in the future some great opportunities with where I work at present, if I left i’d feel a bit like i’m letting him down (daft I know)

Not really sure what the point in this thread is really, guess just a question of how many people have completely changed industry without any experience in the new job?

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Go for it. If you’re friends with your boss I’m sure he’ll understand and there may still be oppertunity in the future. If you want to change your career you just need to jump in and try.

mt
    Free Member

Postman Syndrome?

Think it through carefully then go for what you decide 100%, life is short but full of opportunity if you are open to it. Good luck.

Northwind

When it’s such a change of direction, it takes a lot of the stress out of telling the boss- you’re not going to a competitor or just going for money, you’re just after something the current job can’t offer.

will
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Good point Northwind about it being so different that it’s easier to tell my boss.

I’m going to send my CV & covering letter over tomorrow.

Funnily enough their office is just around the corner from where I work now, and the pay would be the same.

I guess the only other thing is that the team I work in at the moment is quite small so you feel quite involved with every aspect of the work.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Changing Careers and Current Job’ is closed to new replies.