Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Changing Careers
  • bikemonkey
    Free Member

As Sunday evening malaise sets in, I'm coming to the realisation that I'm not completely happy in my job. I've just successfully completed my 3 month probationary period at a new company but I dread each new week at work. I may have picked (read 'accidentally ended up in') the wrong career.

I work in advertising at a medium level. I'm looking to buy my first home with my long term girlfriend by Summer so would rather not jeopardise this by going back to uni/college (although I realise that with no commitments, it would technically be best to do it now).

So, how many of you have changed careers? What did you do and what do you do now? Other than recruitment (no thanks!) which employers value general graduate/management/life skills? Anything that you don't need to take a few months off paid work for?

I seem to have the perfect storm of high stress, long hours and low pay at the moment, and would much rather have just two of these!

crazy-legs

So, how many of you have changed careers? What did you do and what do you do now?

Yep, changed from a job as a synthetic organic chemist to working in the cycling industry full time.
    Kind of bizarre that a job where I had a 4 year degree and 7 years of work experience paid less well than my current job which I got on the basis of general all-round experience, helping out at races, being a decent racer etc – no actual qualification in what I do at the moment.

Geronimo
    Free Member

So, how many of you have changed careers?

Unfortunately not, but I'd really like to. I want to be keen to go to work and motivated when I get there, not frequently looking at the clock and tolerating it for the reasonable pay.

The phrase 'velvet rut' is quite apt.

When you have spent over a decade of your life doing something that pays reasonably well and isn't dangerous or too stressful, but you really don't enjoy it and the thought of doing it for the next few decades is depressing, it is difficult to know where to 'change' to that isn't going to result in poor pay or conditions.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I work in advertising at a medium level

RUN AWAY!
    QUICKLY!
    NOW!
    Before everyone despises you 😉
    Sorry, I couldn't think of anything more constructive.

cutsngrazes
    Free Member

life's too short mate to clock watch.
    I did a degree in teaching and became a teacher for 10 years, and loved it for 9 of those yrs, but began to look at the clock, become cynical about my job and generally just not enthused by it any more.
    Get out there and do stuff that you want to do….it's a cliche I know but life really is too short!
    I left my teaching job eventhough my boss wanted me to go for a senior management position that would have been well into 40k – work should pay for you life.
    I left and moved to Scotland to start my own bike shop, it's been bloody hard and I have very little £££ at the end of each month to call my own, but I have a business I love in a place I love…happy daze! I'm hungry to get better at what I do, and get up in the morning feeling great.
    My advice is to put the house thing on hold at the mo, take a real honest look at your happiness and where you want to go with your life etc, what motivates and drives you.
    Working for someone else would be a safety net – but get looking.
    Craze legs – get some quals man! Invest in your exp. See you at 10@ k x

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Meh, I'm happy being despised! As an industry it has it's upsides – working with genuinely creative and interesting people and the possibility of being well paid in the future. My girlfriend is a primary school teacher and I can't say Im not envious of her job satisfaction, stress levels, security and long term financial predidctability. Unfortunately I don't like kids and don't have much of a nurturing instinct!

how well endowed are you? Might be an option? No…

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Good idea but I think I'd better play to my strengths!

jimmy

I attempted a career change over the past two years. Left a well paid job in IT which never held any interest for me beyond getting paid. Liked matters environmental so did an MSc in Environmental Sustainability. Really interesting and really enjoyed the subject, but looking at jobs I didn't feel inspired and found myself in a situation of applying for jobs I didn't really want to do. In addition, struggled to get a foot in the door with no industry experience. After 5 months of finishing MSc and applying, finally got an interview for a job which would have been interesting but also potentially monotonous and dull; at the the same time an IT contract came up and I just wanted an easy job, to be paid and be able to go out in the evenings and weekends doing what enjoy (namely riding my bike). I've ridden more in the past month since starting the job than the past year. I'm still looking to get out of IT but enjoying it for what it offers right now.

My point… I wouldn't discourage a career change and I haven't become a bitter cynic BUT be sure of what you want to do and where you want to go; speak to people in the industry for a frank and honest opinion, ie look beyond any general enthusiasm for the idea of a career change. Once you know, train specifically for a job, not in a roundabout way for that industry.

crazy-legs

Craze legs – get some quals man! Invest in your exp. See you at 10@ k x

You might do if I had somewhere to stay!
    Drop me an email jamesATbeastwayDOTcom

x

cutsngrazes
    Free Member

Crazt legs – You drop me one – you've got my email! No breakie I'm afraid

Jimmy – Great advice

Not much use to you from an advice perspective, but a positive career change nontheless.

I had high stress, long hours, but a decent salary – the salary wasn't enough to stop me taking voluntary redundancy when it was offered around Christmas (there was a compulsary redundancy that I would have been up for with another Contract Manager anyway). I'd been with the firm 20 odd years man & boy, apprentice electrician through to management, but with hindsight there were areas of management that I handled very well and some not so well. Not being the complete package undoubtedly added to the stress.

The company is now shut in any case, but since setting up my own business in January I haven't looked back once. Work has never been slack and I am way exceeding my projected turnover for the first quarter. Any lacking qualities I may have had previously are either not required or have been ironed out due to enthusiasm for what I'm doing.

I'm not sat in a nice warm office any more, but I'm out in the cold and wet, grafting and at the moment generally working away from home , but the lack of (read zero) stress, very good wage and the general satisfaction of being my own boss have breathed new life into me.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Similar velvet rut situation. Teaching IT and business studies in a further education college. Wanting to do more work outdoors and teach in a broader context.

3 years ago I started an FdSc in Wildlife and Countryside Conservation (out of interest mainly, but also with half an eye on an alternative career) and reduced my work in FE to 4 days in order to:

a) have more time to do my course (especially as there was a work-based learning component to it)
    b) investigate other employment avenues.

Now I have three jobs. Occassional work as a field teacher for a major environmental charity, occassional outdoor instructor with my local authority (these mainly with primary school children) and the old job. The outdoor work has really helped put my old job in perspective and "loosen the ties" somewhat. As a bonus I've also found myself teaching some outdoor education in my college. Now it's a question whether to shift the balance in favour of the first two areas by "dropping" another day with my old job or to make a complete break.

This might be an option for you? Reduce your commitment to your old job gradually in order to test the water in a new one. Your employer might even keep your full-time job open if you decide you don't like it. You may be doing them a favour in the current climate?

TenMen
    Free Member

I had a very well paid IT job that was also very stressful and which I grew to hate. I jacked it in and took a 50% pay cut (initially) to join the police. At the same time I got the missus pregnant – again – and we had to move house and triple the mortgage. First few years were tough, and I'm not exactly rolling in it now, but I'm in a job I enjoy and I know I won't get made redundant and I've got a good pension. The timing for me couldn't have been worse, but I got through it and am pretty happy right now. Can't say my qualifications are particularly valued though – I've got a degree and two masters, and all are ignored in favour of my new NVQ in policing. Whoopie doo!

spacemonkey

I'm looking to buy my first home with my long term girlfriend by Summer

Hmm, I can only hope you live in a different part of the country to me, or you have a significant amount of wedge put away, because mortages are unlikely to be handed out to a couple comprising someone on low pay and a primary school teacher. Hence, IMO forget the home-owning thing for now and look at your longer terms career options.

Take a good look at what you enjoy and what you can see yourself doing. You might need to put in some effort in terms of time (and perhaps money) to figure it out and perhaps even get the relevant experience to get an introduction.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

The house buying is quite realistic. We have an agreement in principle on a 90% ftb mortgage. I'm going to have a think about what I really want to do and not rush into anything.

pomona
    Free Member

I changed from being a Mechanical Tech on oil rigs to being an Air Traffic Controller a few years back. I had a young family and got sick of spending 2+ weeks away from them on a shitty little metal island in the middle of the North Sea.

I had absolutely no knowledge of the aviation industry before I started but now there is no chance I would change again. Great job, minimal formal qualifications required but the selection and training process is rather testing. Some people with multiple degrees failed to make the grade, others with nothing except A levels sailed through.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Wow Pomona, that's a change and a 1/2! Did you have to move house, what's the money like, how did you get started……. Come on, tell more!

samuri
    Free Member

I love these stories about people changing jobs to do something entirely different that they love. Gives me a nice warm feeling. I'll just carry on doing what I'm doing now though I think. It's enjoyable enough and pays very well.

tegski
    Free Member

I was an engineer working in the manufacturing/sales area and got sick of moving money around the world and making time for the owners of the company to ocean race…! Did a DipEd and have been teaching Maths for the last 8 yrs to High School and senior years students. Have also done year advisor jobs as well. I was looking for a job with a "social" context and could not be happier. Obviously have taken a pay cut, but I now enjoy the holidays (sorry stand down periods or ride training) but no company car! I now look forward to each day at work instead of dreading it – if you want a change – I say go for it!

Macavity
    Free Member

"which employers value general graduate/management/life skills?"
    Your country needs you

Army, Navy and Airforce!
    http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/Jobseekers/

FuzzyWuzzy

Problem with all these good news stories from people having changed career is for every one of them there's probably 10 people that tried it failed and now live on the streets so can't post here :p

roach

Jimmy + 1

I was in IT and hated it. I left, tried retraining but in the end I went back to exactly the same job and am now enjoying it like when I first started 10 years ago.

You could change career, enjoy it for a while but who's to say you're not going to hate that too in ten years time…

FuzzyWuzzy

Agree, I'd also job-wise say it's better do be good at something you don't like rather than be crap at something you do like

Curly68
    Free Member

I was a motorcycle technician for over 20 years. Worked here and aboad for MX race teams as well as in dealers. Loved it! Had a little faux pas in life and couldn't work there anymore and couldn't find another in the industry as it was Autumn. Had to find somewhere to pay the mortgage. Friend owns an electrical contractors and wanted a labourer. Almost 5 years later, I'm still there and a qualified sparks on more money. Not 100% with it but I get out and about and never in the same place for too long.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Been there…. done that.

Went back to uni to train to be a mental health nurse after working in IT and Telecomms for a few years.

I now work in Australia. Got paid to come here and LOVE the job. Best thing I ever did.

If you're not happy, fix it. Simple as.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Used to be an environmental consultant – drilling holes in old factories sucking up stinking petrol filled water etc, now I'm a 4th year medical student on the Swansea graduate entry programme, and have loved every minute of it. Big change but I think it will be worth it in the end.

Dont get ill in South Wales as of June 2011 or you might find me looking after you!!

bangaio
    Free Member

Worked for a US investment bank for when I left university working on bond deals in a global debt group. I gave up on that lark just over 5 years ago and took PGCE – now a very very happy secondary school teacher. I miss lunch time boozing, flash law firm parties…. and that's about it really! Best thing I ever did.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Changing Careers’ is closed to new replies.