Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • changing career at 40?
  • lunge

If you have AutoCAD or Solid Works experience and have some experience in either mobile comms or structural steel I could get you contract work tomorrow that will pay that. Seriously, CAD contractors with good skills are very much in demand at the moment.

wwaswas

I think in your 40’s it’s kind of getting to the last chance to make a decision..

I think you have to take the view that you’ll be working for as long as you already have – probably another 25 years.

If technology moves on you’ll need to retrain in whatever industry you end up with.

I started out coding in assembler 30 years ago, then Basic 20 years ago and now it’s moved on again.

It’s your knowledge and overall experience that make you employable, not necessarily the ability to use a single product.

fionap

Seconding the comments on Revit & BIM, at least in the architecture/engineering industry. Massive demand in London right now for Revit technicians, particularly on the big schemes e.g Crossrail. I think the going rate is about £45/hr.

benw
    Free Member

It’s not easy being an electrcian over 40,i have been an electrician for 26 years and physically find it hard now at 43.If you can find another career less demanding i would go for that unless you only need to work part time.

murf
    Free Member

It’s fairly straightforward to get an adult apprenticeship as a sparky. I’ve got people on the adult apprentice scheme in their mid 30’s-40’s. That’s in Scotland though, where about are you?
    It’s a good job with potential to lots of different things and money can range from good to great.

amatuer

Why bother changing your whole career? I also have a HNC in civil engineering and was a CAD monkey. I slowly got enough experience to get Incorporated and am now a team leader with further promotion possibilities. If you have enough determination to improve your lot in life, why reinvent the wheel? Up date your CV and try a change of employer, the market is booming at the moment. Or have a moan at your manager at not getting enough experience or opportunities. Speak to your local ICE membership officer about training objectives and ask what else you need to get a professional qualification.
    Having said that, if you have a target of £40k, then you won’t get it in the civil engineering industry unless you’re chartered and become a senior / principl engineer.

veedub
    Free Member

munkyboy – Member
    Bim/ revit is big money now as the recession is over and everyone needs it. Just remember that everyone working is now learning it on the job so in five years it will be a standard skill and probably pretty badly paid.

that’s my worry really

alexxx
    Free Member

Learn PHP 1000s to be made with a simple language

chomp
    Free Member

I’m in similar boat – half way through part-time degree with the intention of becoming a primary teacher.

No real chance of making anything like the money I currently earn but as it’s something I want to do the family thinks it’s achievable.

Have to say having done half of the course, and a fair bit of teaching I can see why there are a lack of good teachers coming through/sticking with it (and I regularly question why I’m doing it, but can’t face another 25 – 30 years sitting at a desk working in I.T.)

badnewz
    Free Member

Depends on what commitments you have retraining is a lot more viable in my opinion if you don’t have a family to support.

jools182
    Free Member

I’m also an engineering technician

Lunge, where are you based?

I’ve seen more jobs coming up recently, but a lot seem to be staff jobs

cookeaa

I don’t think I’d jump on to IT/Programming, you’ll be competing with more cut-price, Spouse free graduates than almost any other profession these days…

I’d look at what skills you currently already have that you could transfer elsewhere, or setting up as self employed or a Contractor…

What CAD packages can you drive OP?
    Looking at the people we employ, contract CAD monkeying can be better paid and obviously you’re not tied to the company like a Staffy…
    Any FEA experience?

We also pay a fortune for Contracted Project planners, those that can operate Primavera seem to be more expensive than those who only use MSP… Essentially it’s a job that anyone can get away with doing badly for six months with almost zero repercussions, then their agent will find them another cushy number bolloxing up someone else’s project, good planners are harder to come by and keep IME…

Former engineers/technical people make better planners as they better understand the work they are planning, where someone with a business management BA will never get it…

What about the BIM/Revit gravy train?

Good suggestion, wangle your way into a big organisation trying to get their head around BIM, Learn some important sounding terminology and I reckon you’ll be set…

grantway
    Free Member

Become a Black Cab driver !

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘changing career at 40?’ is closed to new replies.