Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Changing career and relocating to a new place, pointers/advice and any thoughts?
    Free Member

Hi all,

I'll be relocating down south (Portsmouth) on or around September, and I am as bored as a bored person with my current career. So changing direction/career is definitely on the cards.

Truth be told I feel a bit lost with where to turn for some career change inspiration. Have you changed career before? If so, how did you arrive at the decision of what to do next?

Any suggestions and thoughts would be very much appreciated,
    cheers,
    jt

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I went from working on behalf of the Trade Bank of Iraq for JPMorgan Chase Bank to working for the probation service, that was quite a change!

The result is, I'm much happier, have a sense of job satisfaction for the first time ever and although the drop in income was pretty steep, thanks to various allowances, getting regraded and the free for all overtime culture on the public sector gravy train I'm actually earning more now than I was then.

Best of all, I don't have to put up with calling New York to beg for permission to reorder printer cartridges and other such nonsense anymore!
    I wouldn't have minded, but HQ at 1 Chase Plaza were spending over $100,000 p.a on flowers for their reception.

Free Member

Thanks 😉
    How did you arrive at the decision to go from finance to crim's (perhaps ironically, I view banking/investments in a similar light to criminals) 😉 😉

The overwhelming feelings of a lack of job satisfaction doesn't help the attempts to make a decision…..

jt

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Well, the ragtag assortment of rapists, arsonists, heroin enthusiasts and paedophiles that form my client base today are far preferable to some of the types I used to work for!

It just reached a point where the job was utterly predictable. I developed an almost psychic ability to sense who would call about what and when, it was groundhog day and I was running on autopilot. Additionally, being in such a niche area was all very interesting at first, but there was nowhere to go with it. We couldn't defect to a rival because there simply wasn't anyone else doing the same thing. In true JPM style, sensing a captive audience there was a pay freeze and they set about altering the terms and conditions and blah blah blah

I'm sure finance is super for the traders/brokers with their penthouse flats and nightly cocaine fuelled orgies on helicopters with Latvian lingerie models, but most of the back office stuff is tedious in the extreme for pretty modest salaries.

Antonyfw
    Free Member

I've recently changed career dramatically, moving into the outdoor industry. i was pushed out of my previous job and i was left feeling burnt out and a little lost. Probably going to have to move house eventually due to the nature of the trade. I reckon it makes it all worth it since i'll be doing something i've always loved and i'm passionate about. Moving house does mean creating a new social network in the area but doing it will be that much easier since i'll be happy in my job.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Changing career and relocating to a new place, pointers/advice and any thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.