Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Changing career
  • tammy
    Free Member

Hey, I need some advice. I’m currently in a job I really don’t like & I’ve considered focusing my career towards interior design; I feel my interests would lie perfectly in the creative industry, in any capacity.
    Has anyone gone for something completely different? If so have you been successful? Any hints, tips and pointers would be hugely appreciated!! Thanks

the-muffin-man

Sell them rather than tart them up!…

UK estate agents see bumper pay rises as property booms
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39002428

Klunk
    Free Member

I went from Technical Sales/Support to Computer Game Artist nearly 20 yrs ago now, would be much more tricky to do now as the competition for jobs is really tough these days. Have a strong portfolio of work, showing traditional art skills drawing, composition, good use of colour etc, Also other art mediums such as photography, computer graphics (a well laid out arty website for the portfolio is good for this too). There should be creative web resources for the exact field you want to join should have forums that will help for example in game art we have places like polycount.com and cgsociety.org, they’ll critique your work (you have to learn to take (and give) honest and sometime heart breaking criticism) help with techniques and technical stuff, have challenges, and employment oppos listed.

cinnamon_girl

What an odd first post!

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Try this Tammy. Their blog is interesting.

Careershifters.org

cinnamon…. Why u think its odd?

shermer75
    Free Member

Always better to regret something you have done rather than something you haven’t. Get on with it, the sooner you start the less of your life you waste wishing you had done it!

Cougar

cinnamon…. Why u think its odd?

Makes perfect sense to me. When you need advice about a career change with a leaning towards interior design, the obvious choice is to create an account on a mountain bike forum populated largely by outdoorsy-type blokes.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

[rubbingthighs]But tammy sounds like a real girl. Can she stay?[/rubbingthighs]

nickjb
    Free Member

Makes perfect sense to me. When you need advice about a career change with a leaning towards interior design, the obvious choice is to create a second account on a mountain bike forum populated largely by outdoorsy-type blokes.

ftfy. Probably sensible if you work with other stw types or use your real name.

Property development might be an option. You’ll need some seed money and the returns aren’t quite what they were but it’s still possible to make a living. Obviously you instantly become evil although you can do it ethically .

Either way change is good IMO. As long as you can afford to take the risk I’d try something else. Better than spending too long in a job you aren’t enjoying

tammy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions!! Yes I’m a real girl & yes it’s an odd first post, but I’m outdoorsy, love cycling & sports if that’s any consolation?

Cougar

Let you off, then. (-:

Cougar

the obvious choice is to create a second account

Doesn’t immediately look like it, TBH.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Cougar – what an odd thing to post. Why you getting involved?

poolman
    Free Member

Welcome, why not try property management to get started and some income in. Then when refurbs come up you get first dibs on the projects.

I sort of reluctantly get involved in design but really shouldnt, anyone with good practical skills like plumbing, electrics, would do far better.

Best ideas i get are internal photos on rightmove, and visiting show houses and taking cheeky photos. I then blatantly copy someone elses designs.

Cougar

Cougar – what an odd thing to post. Why you getting involved?

Cougar – Moderator

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Yes……… Why is the Moderator answering questions on behalf of Cinnamon?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Because I’m daft as a brush and like the rush of power.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Charlie Mungus….. LOL….

I had the feeling that would be the case!!!!!!

Big Fish in a small pond….. Nurse Ratched would be proud!

robz400
    Free Member

10 years of corporate HR to carpenter here.

Best thing I ever did, money was scary at first but have adjusted my life and am in a better financial position than ever.

I actually like going to work these days.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Changing career’ is closed to new replies.