Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Changing career
  • The-Duke

Hi
    Looking for some advise as i’m currently really fed up with work and can’t see things getting any better. I’m considering re-training as a heating engineer/plumber but worried how easy it is to gain employment as i’m currently 30 so not really typical apprentice material. I already work in a technical job so shouldn’t have any problem completing a course but does anyone have any experience of this type of career change and how did you get on?

Cheers

donsimon
    Free Member

Why plumber? Why not electrician? Carpenter? Brickie? Software designer?

The-Duke

The girlfriend’s cousin works as a plumber/heating engineer for a small local firm and really enjoys it. I’m trying to set up a meeting with his boss to discuss options, hope a introduction will get me further than just sending my cv to random companies. I wouldn’t even mind paying for a training course but i would like some understanding that i would be taken on with a company afterwords.

donsimon
    Free Member

Just looking at your motivation that’s all. If you’re bored with your current job, are you going to be bored with plumbing in a couple of months too?

The-Duke

It’s nothing to do with motivation, more to do with shifts being changed to a lot more nightshift and weekend working plus an hour commute each way, then there’s new management that don’t have a clue. I’m well paid at the moment but can’t see myself staying long term and think I’ll have to bite the bullet and change before I get much older.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Changing career’ is closed to new replies.