Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Changing brakes from Elixir CR to XT
  • verbboy
    Free Member

Want to finally get rid of my useless Elixir CR for shimano SLX or XT.

Is it as simple as swapping the units or do I need different post mounts?

I don’t plan to change the discs, basically I just want to bolt on new levers/calipers.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Daffy

You may need to fettle the mounts using spacers, but they should work just fine.

stumpy01

The mounts might foul the caliper, but worth trying and then getting new mounts If you have a problem…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Went from elixir to shimano just had to remove the spacers

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

How much for the old CR,s?

verbboy
    Free Member

Thanks why could the mounts cause a problem? Because they aren’t shimano specific ones?

NorthCountryBoy: er no idea, they are a few years old, white lever bodies/calipers, pads worn but a bit of meat left, and a brand new bleed kit unused. Message me an offer I’m sure we can sort something.

skinnyboy
    Free Member

I’ve got both. The mounts just need shimming.

I get amused when I see these threads about Avids. Cheap Avids for us that know how to look after them!

haggis1978

Skinnyboy, would you care to share your secrets? I have a set of avid elixirs on a bike which are in need of a bleed. Cheers

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I went from Elixirs to Deore, just bolted straight on, no spacers etc.

I wouldn’t pay for XT when Deore are fantastic

verbboy
    Free Member

Not sure why it’s amusing, I don’t like the elixir CR compared to the xt on another bike that’s all.

Plenty of avid fans out there so they can’t be a bad brake.

My biggest beef with the exilir is inconsistent pad alignment, I’m sure it’s an error on my part but take a wheell out, put it back in and 50%+ of the time it rubs, I’ve never experienced that with My XT ones. I prefer a fuss free ride and setup.

I’d happily save the money on buying new brakes if someone can recommend how I fix the problem 😀

skinnyboy
    Free Member

I don’t know mate, for me in have never had problems with avid brakes from BB7’s, Juicys and Elixirs. For me the secret is to follow the instructions to a tee. Both installing and bleeding. Use genuine kit as well. I think a lot of people think they can jam on a syringe and push the fluid up the guts and get a good bleed. I’ve seen some muppetry akin to this in the flesh at a LBS near me.

For me they work and always have given consistent braking and performance as good as the XTs I have on another bike.

verbboy
    Free Member

Well all sorted, wasn’t that tricky really.

Set of Elixir CR’s not for sale!

Thanks

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

So how did you cure them?? 😀

verbboy
    Free Member

Er 😳 it meant to say NOW for sale not not!

Stole XT off other bike and all fitted fairly easily. Pushed shimano mount for front and existing one on the back.

Can’t believe I’ve waited all these years to do this!

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

how much for the CR`s?

verbboy
    Free Member

I have no idea, I have caplipers, pads (not new), levers and hoses all as they came off the bike. I also have a brand new bleed kit that I never got around to using (I think £25 on CRC).

£50 + postage for it all?

AlexSimon

If it’s the same bleed kit as the Reverb, you may want to keep it (if you’ve got or are planning to get one that is).

verbboy
    Free Member

Ah right thanks AlexSimon, just got one of those the other week!

AlexSimon

Worth a double-check to see if it’s the same.

verbboy
    Free Member

Will do thanks

mintimperial

If it’s the same bleed kit as the Reverb, you may want to keep it (if you’ve got or are planning to get one that is).

Avids run on DOT fluid, Reverbs are mineral oil based. Mixing the two up will result in sudden and catastrophic seal-death. 🙁

(You can probably get away with it by thoroughly rinsing out the syringes every time you use them, though.)

verbboy
    Free Member

Ah OK, solves that problem then, just realised I have a bleed kit supplied with the reverb anyway.

Massive eBay session coming up, lots of bits to sell!

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Ill give you £25 for the CRs 🙂

plyphon
    Free Member

I have some CR’s and I’m looking to buy some Deores to replace them.

If someone is interested, I’ll take pictures and they can make me an offer. I’ll tell you now they are quite well ridden and the rear brake lever is missing a bushing which makes the lever a bit floppy – but they work great still! (I seem to be one of the few that has them set up right)

If anyone is interested, let me know.

verbboy
    Free Member

Northcountryboy: sure, is your email address on your profile your current one?

I can send you a pic of them just so you’re sure. £25 + postage but no profit on the postage I assure you.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Yep email in profile ty

verbboy
    Free Member

OK I’ll sort that tomorrow

crankrider
    Free Member

My avids have been ok whereas the xts brilliant from day one with no bleed dispute shortening hoses. Shimano brakes are brill for the price on crc

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Changing brakes from Elixir CR to XT’ is closed to new replies.