Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Changing Brake Rotors
  • Gweilo
    Free Member

Do i really need a torque wrench to do this?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

No just tighten them up by hand and put some locktite on each bolt thats what i have done with my Hope Rotors over the years.

nealglover
    Free Member

You do if you want to tighten the bolts up to the correct torque settings.

But if your not bothered, then no.

(That’s not a flippant answer, I changed mine without a torque wrench, and I’m still alive a few months later 🙂 )

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Do you know how tight is too tight?

The difference will be when you have to remove them, strip or snap the bolt and end up with a stub stuck in your hub 🙂

Threadlock, 2-3 finger tight and you’ll be alright!

Gweilo
    Free Member

Cheers Chaps, I’ve never done this before and thought a torque wrench might be a bit OTT. So with the locktite;

first question loctite as in superglue?
    Second question put it around the bolts after I’ve tightened them up, or before I tighten them?

Apologies if I’m being dim.

andyl
    Free Member

no not as in superglue!

Get yourself one of these (eg from Halfords) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOCTITE-248-THREADLOCKER-medium-STRENGTH-19G-/380323837897#vi-content

as it will last ages and stop you putting too much on – it’s like a lipstick. You just dab a bit onto the bolth threads then tighten them up. Do not do them too tight, the threadlock will do it’s job and prevent them corroding together too – ie like a grease that then sets to stop it coming loose.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Changing Brake Rotors’ is closed to new replies.