Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • changing bars/sore wrist
  • gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve been commuting on a rigid urban hybrid bike for over 6 months now and i’m finding that my right wrist is constantly sore
    the bike has an easton ea30 bar and the usual lock on grips and running 700cx35 wheels/tyres
    i’m running about 80psi on the tyres
    i find that the constant vibrations and jarring from the front end is making things worse for my wrist
    when i’m on the mtb i dont have any issues so i’m assuming that its the rigid front end of the commuter

would switching to carbon bars help?

any advice is much appreciated.

ahwiles
    Free Member

try letting about 30psi out of your tyres first.

my commuter has 32mm tyres, i weigh 80Kg in my kit, i’ve found 60psi (rear) / 50psi (front) ‘feels’ about right, in terms of comfort, and speed, and avoiding dings.

i run 80psi on my 28mm tyres, even that feels a bit firm.

80psi on 35’s? i’d do that to a mate for a joke… (actually, i probably wouldn’t, i’d be worried he might hurt himself)

scotroutes

First thing I would do is lower the front tyre pressure.

Carbon bars can be stiffer than alloy so no guarantee there. Have you tried bar ends to give a change of hand position?

gonzy
    Free Member

i was running them at 60psi but it felt a bit wallowy and i was getting more punctures this way so thats why i upped the pressure
    i weigh about 75kg fully kitted out so i’ll drop the tyre pressure and see how that goes

i’ve thought about bar ends but as the bars are risers, i’ve actually been looking at getting some flat bars instead so maybe its time to give the bike a bit of an old skool set up

thanks
    🙂

scotroutes

Have a shot on a fatbike then go back to your commuter at 60psi. It’ll feel rock solid 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

gonzy – Member

i was running them at 60psi but … i was getting more punctures this way so thats why i upped the pressure…

i’ve got 3 important words for you:

Schwalbe.

Marathon.

Plus.

gonzy
    Free Member

Schwalbe.

Marathon.

Plus.

i’ve got schwlabe citizen kevlar guards on 😕

gonzy
    Free Member

however i do know of one thing i should do and that is change my riding style on the road
    i’m probably not doing myself any good by riding like as if i’m still on my full sus bike and hitting every rough patch and pothole at full pelt! 😯

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve never used those tyres, but they are schwalbe, so they’re off to a good start. I’d be surprised if they weren’t at least half-decent.

but if you’re worried about punctures, they’re not:

Schwalbe.

Marathon.

Plus.

gonzy
    Free Member

overal they are pretty good. its just that when i went through a spate of about 5 punctures in the space of a week it was a bit of a coincidence that i was running the lower pressure.
    i might have been just a bit unlucky to get that many punctures so i’ll give the lower tyre pressure another go and see how i go from there. 🙂

damascus
    Free Member

Try some ergon grips. Slightly heavier but I love mine. Could never go back. Spreads the weight better.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘changing bars/sore wrist’ is closed to new replies.