Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Changing Bank Account Question
  • BigJohn

I’ve been with RBS for years and years. In fact when we opened out first account with them in 1975 they were called Williams & Glyns.

Now they’re expecting us to be happy being shunted over to Santander.

Is it just me being grumpy asking if I want to be in an Oh So Secure Spanish bank which already has 2 branches in our small town as a result of previous takeovers, so RBS will make 3, and who have a poor reputation for customer service and internet banking.

I want a joint current account and a business current account (for a small turnover bedroom fitting business) with a friendly branch for paying in cheques, and good internet banking.

In Stafford we have a Co-Op, Halifax, Nationwide and Yorkshire as well as all the bigger ones.

I’m leaning towards the Co-Op, I’m verrry averse to the Halifax because of their **** adverts, but I wondered if anybody had got any recommendations based on PERSONAL experience, Ta.

scruff
    Free Member

devoninbred
    Free Member

I just moved from Santander to Co-op, I was drawn to their ethical policy, so far i have found their customer service exceptional, very helpful and no pressure at all from the staff trying to sell me something new.

BigJohn

And unbeieveably, the ads have got even worse since they got rid of him.

poly
    Free Member

In theory Santander UK is a separate entity from the Spanish outfit and any Spanish banking problem should have no direct impact on your money in a UK account. That said I’ve previously had poor experience with Santander and they would be well down my list of prefered banks to deal with. That said I wouldn’t be choosing RBS either!

BigJohn

What’s the internet service like Devoninbred?

xcgb
    Free Member

After 20+ years with Abbey, since they have been santander they have been awful.

I am just in the process of moving to first direct, they seem very helpful, its still unnerving when they just answer the phone when you call them!

IHN

I’m thinking of doing the same and going to the Co-Op. I’ve always banked with RBS after working for them years ago, I always had excellent service and I really have an issue with going to Santander.

BigJohn

Spanish banking problem should have no direct impact on your money

And these bankers all stick to the rules and never exploit loopholes.

devoninbred
    Free Member

Really good, even an iPhone app too possibly android as well to check balances on the move, to do any thing other than view balance you need a card reader device for a security code that they supply free of charge

wwaswas

We have a Smile (Co-op online) and Co-op account. switching was really easy and they transferred all DD’s bar my whatmtb one (think because I had two DD’s with Future one got dropped).

they do the chip and pin to generate a key code devices too.

Cougar

After 20+ years with Abbey, since they have been santander they have been awful.

Pretty much my experience here too.

I am just in the process of moving to first direct

I’ve been threatening to do that for a while now too. Only thing stopping me (other than inertia) is not being clear on whether they will transfer my overdraft facility as part of the migration. I could ask them I suppose.

anagallis_arvensis

I’ve been with Smile (Co-op online) for ten years. They have always without exception been excellent, cant comment on business accounts though.

Lifer
    Free Member

Another +1 for Co-op, great service.

poly
    Free Member

And these bankers all stick to the rules and never exploit loopholes.

Consumer deposits in UK banks* (including Santander) are protected (to around 50k IIRC). If he has more than £50k I assume he (i) wouldn’t be seeking advice on a bike forum (ii) would be similarly exposed at RBS – the bank that nearly went bust. My point is there is no real reason to believe that any other bank in the UK is fundamentally safer than Santander.

* it is worth noting that not all banks operating in the UK are protected UK banks.

vorlich
    Free Member

+1 for Co-op. Excellent for the last 8 years

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

I am with you about abbey national they messed up a move to them, then blamed everyone else but themselves! YBS we had our mortgage with them and they credited an old account – they put it right but I feel that if she had concentrated on the job in hand than trying to sell god knows what they would not have made the mistake. Had a co-op account when I had a Saturday job with them (25 years ago) the only negative was the blue cheque book which stained your fingers (but then who writes cheques now). Halifax – don’t you have to pay for their accounts now?

BigJohn

Quite right Poly, I was just being sardonic. However my question was about the level of service, but now I’m beginning to think the Co-Op is getting a bit too mainstream for my tastes and maybe I’d like something a bit more niche. C Hoares or Coutts anybody?

titusrider
    Free Member

I’m v happy at nationwide but never had much cause to test compliants.

Good online banking
    Good rates
    Leanient mortgage terms
    good credit card
    no charges abroad
    Free travel ins

Works for me 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

I was with Nationwide before changing to Co-op. Nationwide annoyed me by continually increasing my overdraft and credit card limit, got bored having to reduce it back down to where I needed it every month (don’t need that sort of temptation)

kcal

RBS have been fine for me to be honest, since opening an account with them when I started work – so that’s 1984… all about personal service I reckon – not just customer service wish-wash, but “know your customer” service – I’ve always been on good terms with each branch manager, and have been able to drop in to the branch or phone the manager directly.

BigJohn

Yes, they’ve been great to me too. But that’s all gonna change.

p7rich
    Free Member

Co-op (Smile) for 10+ years. No complaints. They have always been fair and reasonable when problems have arisen. …and i’m not easily pleased!

matt_outandabout

Been with smile (Co-op) here for about 14 years iirc, and they are ace. No pressure selling, reasonable and quick to respond on phone or secure message.

teef
    Free Member

If you do swap don’t use their automated account change service – never spoken to anyone where it went smoothly. Change all you own DD, SO, payments yourself.

jarvo
    Free Member

@BigJohn …. Coutts service is amazing. But then, you pay for it. A friend has a Coutts account, and he has to complete his day-to-day banking at NatWest. They fall over themselves to give him exceptional service when he hands over his Coutts card to make a transaction. “Good morning Mr B sir, how are you today sir? Lovely day isn’t it sir? Would you like me to wipe your a** sir?”.

Me, I have a co-op account, the people you speak to are friendly and genuinely helpful, without a forced policy. The internet banking is sufficient … granted it doesn’t have the whistles and bells that some of the other banking providers do. Especially in terms of exporting your banking data, or analysis of spend. But it is fine for me.

Plus, with their takeover of hundreds of LloydsTSB locations, and apparently going to use the Lloyds banking system, it will be interesting to see what happens to legacy customers.

druidh
    Free Member

Please no. I was seriously thinking about changing to Smile until I read this. Can anyone confirm?

workshyfop
    Free Member

Wife had a Santander account and switched to Co-op after Santander accidentally sent her someone elses bank statement while hers went to AN other! When she phoned to complain, they didn’t even apologise. Co-op have been great.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Changing Bank Account Question’ is closed to new replies.