Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Changing Analogue Arial To Digital Help Needed
  • grantway
    Free Member

Changing a friend of mine Analogue arial as he is going to use freeview

Apart from changing the Arial do I also have to change the coax cable too?
    And what about the Coax connecter to the TV does this have to be changed too
    or is the existing coax cable and TV connecter OK.

maccruiskeen

Freeview should work fine with the ariel and cable he’s got, you don’t need a different type of ariel, you just need one that works

jota180
    Free Member

Freeview should work fine with the ariel and cable he’s got, you don’t need a different type of ariel, you just need one that works

Sort of
    Back in the analogue days most aerials were group specific and had a relatively narrow frequency bandwidth
    Pretty much all of the digital transmitters use a much more spread out range of frequencies meaning some old aerials aren’t very good at ‘out of band’ frequencies necessitating a new wide and aerial

maccruiskeen

Like you say ‘some old arials’, the arial thats there might work just as it is, so until you’ve tried the set up thats there you don’t know if anything needs changing.

jota180
    Free Member

You should be able to tell if you can see it, if the end cap is coloured red, green or yellow, in fact any colour other than black, it’ll probably need changing.
    Do try first though, I have an old group A on my workshop that’s managing OK, just

If you’re missing channels check to see if they’re all in the same multiplex, if they are it may be that the old one is now out of band

grantway
    Free Member

OK Thanks for all your input and help

allthepies
    Free Member

Receiving Freeview on the original aerial fitting to my house when it was built in 1990 🙂

oliverd1981
    Free Member

For Christ’s sake mark the direction of the current aerial – aerials were a lot easier to line up accurately in the analogue days.

wallace1492
    Free Member

When up mucking about with the ariel, remember NOT to being EMU with you…. 😯

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Changing Analogue Arial To Digital Help Needed’ is closed to new replies.