Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • changing a spoke on a tubeless wheel
  • sadexpunk

just noticed a spoke snapped on my singular 🙁

its a stans rim that i made tubeless with yellow tape and milk etc from JRA. ardent non tubeless tyre.

am i right in thinking thatll be a full tubeless strip down inc the yellow tape to fix it? an expensive spoke when you factor more milk and probably more tape as well? im assuming you cant really re-use the tape?

and wheres the best place to buy 1 spoke, or is that even possible?

thanks

clubber
    Free Member

just replace the spoke. no need to strip anything else unless the nipple is broken.

Depends where the spoke’s snapped.
    I find they usually snap where they go in to the nipple, so there’s nothing to hold on to to get the threaded part out.
    Could you just cut a hole in the tape where the broken spoke is, then stick a short length of tape over the hole afterwards, giving it about 2″ overlap each end ? Never tried this, but it should work.
    In fact, you could probably do it with the tyre still on the rim if you get it at the top and roll the tyre off just enough to get to the rim. No need to drain the sealant.

sadexpunk

aye, that’s good thinking, worth a try thanks. whatever I do I’ll need a new spoke, so any idea where the best place for a single spoke would be?

thanks a lot

Northwind

LBSs are usually the best best for individual spokes, or whoever made the wheel in the first place (get some spares though while you’re at it, save you hassle in future)

Incidentally if you do ever break the yellow tape or have to remove it to work on the wheel, you can just remove a short section or make a hole then patch it.

clubber
    Free Member

lbs. most decent ones will have standard sizes in stock.

sadexpunk

just been out to look, and its as bad as i feared. the nipple is still on the end of the spoke so its sheared inside the rim.

but at least ive got that clever idea of keeping sealant in, cutting small hole and covering over with larger bit of tape after.

thanks for your help.

sadexpunk

well………i finally got round to it, and changed spoke. bit of a faff, but i got away with just cutting a bit of the yellow tape away, and overlapping new stuff.

but….i didnt get away with leaving tyre partly on as i needed to p*ss about trying to get a bit of nipple back through one of the spoke holes >-( and now im left with a tyre full of milk, which wont inflate with my track pump.

when i first inflated it, i did it at my old job wherre there was compressed air on tap. no such luck this time. any ideas on getting it up? ive rolled it along the floor first to try and seat it better but no joy. anyone got any good ideas?

ta

PiknMix
    Free Member

sadexpunk – Member
    any ideas on getting it up?

tee hee!

(sorry)

Stoner
    Free Member
    foxyrider
    Free Member

Plenty of soap suds and press down on the top of the tube tyre when the wheel is supported works for me:

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/stans-no-tubes-guide.htm

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

anyone got any good ideas?

Either
    1. Tip the jizz into a bowl; fit a tube; inflate; remove tube leaving one bead seated; tip jizz back into tyre; inflate
    or
    2. put a strap around the circumference of the tyre and use it to squash the tyre, deforming it towards the rim as you inflate so that it stands a better chance of seating.

sadexpunk

thanks chaps. stoner – garages near us have those rubbish compressors now that dont work on bike tyres, but that 9p bottle trick does the job. only trouble is it leaks a bit from bottle top and the tyres slowly going down. i had to take the valve core out to do it.

im not sure i cleaned the tyre and rim well enough after taking it off, it was more a token gesture, so thats possibly gonna have to be done again.

foxy, just read that, another tip, thanks 🙂

ecky, using a tube to start it off will be my last resort.

thanks all

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘changing a spoke on a tubeless wheel’ is closed to new replies.