Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Changing 140mm pikes to 150mm Talas on Specalised Pitch
  • giddyrob
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m going to be changing out my old for for a new 150mm Fox Talas fork. Just wondering if I should lower my steering (remove spacers) about 1cm to compensate for the change?

I guess I cut the steerer and put a spacer at the top to test it out, but just wondered if people have any opinion on this or it’s such a small change it isn’t worth the bother?

Cheers

survivor

I did a similair thing with my Pitch but got 160mm 36 Floats.. I’m assuming your getting 36’s

Spacers will be your choice once you’ve ridden it for bar height but I had to lower the 36’s to 140mm with internal spacers to give a correct head angle. Anything higher gave sloppy handling. I guess being a bigger fork with a larger crown caused this.

You may find similair at 150mm. 10mm doesnt sound much but it’s enough to mess with the geometry.

Rides much better though, original pikes are brilliant forks but the 36 is much stiffer.

Long live the Pitch……

bantasanta
    Free Member

Spacing the stem up a few mil would give you the raised bar height but the handling won’t be the same as with a longer fork due to the fact that the head angle will be slackened. I now run 160mm forks on my Pitch and it feels a lot more planted on the descents allowing you to go into warp speed without the front end twitching out of control. Do it.

giddyrob
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

They are 32 150m as it was the only straight steerer I could find. The forks are new 2012 models so not been used before.

Would have preferred to go a bit bigger, but had to settle with these until a summer bike is bought in the next couple of years… Don’t want to kill the pitch as I want a winter ride.

I was actually thinking of lowering the bars though as there is more travel so the bike should be slightly higher at the front if I keep the same stem length.

I do a lot of riding in the South Downs when not hitting the trails so have some fun descents to do when trying to keep fit 😉 Wanted at least the Talas to drop the front end when crunching up the hills 🙂

survivor

Just bung them on and see then, don’t cut your steerer though till you’ve got the setup you want. Spacers can go above the stem as well until you finally decide to cut it.

giddyrob
    Free Member

Yeah, that was the plan 🙂 Just interesting to hear people’s thoughts 🙂

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Changing 140mm pikes to 150mm Talas on Specalised Pitch’ is closed to new replies.