Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Changed your spending habits/plans since the referendum?
  • cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Just wondering if people have changed their spending habits/plans since the referendum result

Have you cut back or is it continue as you normally would?

Anyone put a major spend on hold or made a big purchase?

ton

no.

money is of no use whatsoever unless it is being spent.

spend it, earn some more, repeat.

explain the need to do anything otherwise please.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

No. We’re still going on a cruise for my birthday In August, 2 weeks later we go on (yet) another holiday & when we get back I’ll be part time then after Xmas we’re getting a caravan.

Next question.

teasel
    Free Member

Next question.

What’s a hypotenuse…?

ton

after Xmas wer’e getting a caravan.

dodgy old pikey………. 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What’s a hypotenuse…?

A triangle of some sort?

(I didn’t Google it & I left school in 1972.)

teasel
    Free Member

I left school in 1972

Maybe you should have stayed a bit longer rather than leave before you hit double figures; might’ve learned something…

😉

Edit : I know I flatter you with that statement. You really don’t look that young…

Edit 2 : And almost. It’s the longest side of a triangle or something.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

dodgy old pikey.

You know me too well Tony lad!

Maybe you should have stayed a bit longer rather than leave before you hit double figures; might’ve learned something…

Edit : I know I flatter you with that statement. You really don’t look that young…

Ha! Left school at 15 & in those days it was either the coal mines or working for a chimney sweep. 😉

CountZero

Yes. But only because I’m currently looking for a job, which has ****all to do with the referendum, Brexit, Corbyn, Cameron, May, the EU, or anything else involving politics.

scaled
    Free Member

I’ve spent more on a car than a geometron would have cost me and I’m getting married.

It’s like my bank account has been torpedoed at the moment!

bodgy
    Free Member

Yup, definitely. Stopped smoking (almost completely), cut down massively on booze and am spending about half of what I was on weekly food shop for the family. Any holiday plans for next year are on hold, as is all other ‘fun’ expenditure. Going to dig a veg garden (as supermarket prices for veg are already astronomical; Brexit isn’t going to help.)

Exit effects were brought home last Thursday, when the familial business had no overnight new business . . . for the first time in 18 years. Picked up a tiny bit since, but, personally, I’m gonna do what farmers do; batton down the hatches and try to ride it out. I just hope that we can make enough money to keep the dependant employees afloat; many of them have taken on mortgages during the past few years, and frankly I’m shitting it a bit, worried that we can continue to provide for them if the market crumbles.

Terrifying.

nwill1
    Free Member

No…unless I lose my job as a result my income does not change so why would my spending habits??

irc

No. Paid for majority of upcoming USA holiday and bought dollars before the vote. Post vote took advantage of higher FTSE 100 to withdraw some cash from a fund. Spending plans unchanged.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

A bit more cautious. Was intending on spending significant sum (to me) on some new hifi and have decided to hold off for a few months to see how things are going first.

dmorts

Buy the hifi now. I think we’re in the honeymoon period, the £ will drop further. Paid and booked as much of an upcoming holiday pre Brexit as we could, just got to suck up booking and paying the rest (which has increased in price).

Future plans include, now not buying another car and not buying a new bike, spending minimum money on the garden and house, build up some savings, overpay to reduce mortgage.

A thought, this is of our own doing. It is not the result of a worldwide economic downturn, like 2008. So my reasoning is that we’re in control of fixing it, we’re not waiting on the world as a whole to recover, therefore things getting better should be quicker. You should believe me, I’m not an expert.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Waiting for the proper drop on the pound and hoping the Aussie dollar holds out. Then I might come back for a holiday

honeybadgerx

Yep, work in construction and had two big jobs put on hold in the last week. Other half works for a charity that gets most of their funding from the European social fund. Needless to say we’re being very careful with our spending at the moment…

transporter13
    Free Member

Nope…everything I own(house aside) is paid for outright so no point worrying about what may or may not happen.

Actually been looking at buying a larger shed/workshop as the amount of bikes we are collecting as a household is getting silly now 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

spend it, earn some more, repeat.

That only works when you are sure you are always working. If you lose your job the equation breaks down. Hence the concept of saving.

ton

That only works when you are sure you are always working. If you lose your job the equation breaks down. Hence the concept of saving.

if the job you are doing stops, get another job. nobody has to stay in the same job forever.

why worry about things that are out of your control…..life will just carry on.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

About to drop a f#@#tonne of cash on a house. I’m lucky in my work; grass, weeds and hedges don’t stop growing due to Brexit, and I’ve 30 employers rather than one so feeling pretty secure.

mudshark
    Free Member

Rainy day fund?

Fortunately I have been building up a financial buffer for when the economy next got messed up – it’s just happened.

Occasionally I meet someone who is youngish and seemingly bright who is pro Brexit and ask why, they all seem to think short-term pain is worthwhile; I suppose they assume they won’t be losing their job/house but how many others will?

alpin
    Free Member

despite being here in Germany Brexit has meant that the deposit i had planned for a house is now worth 10-11% less than two weeks ago. stupidly i didn’t swap my accounts to € or $ before the vote, but then i ddin’t expect it to go that way….

don’t know if the house is now within our reach…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nope, had a bit of a panic in the week after, put the house move on the back-burner and looked at cheaper alternatives, but as the city got over it’s initial fear and given the size of the problem at hand it’s recovered well.

However I’m lucky in that we’re currently fairly broke because Miss Jay burns through £800 a month in child-care at the moment – which if either of us loses our job we don’t have to pay, and we’re 24 months away from paying off a gradulate loan my wife took 3 years ago to sort out her student finances, if/when we actually leave we’ll be a grand a month better off than we are now.

More than that, I spoke with someone I trust I used to work with, works in ‘the city’ a few days ago via FB and he is “not uncertain” (something for Billions fans there) that the BOE and Westminster are quietly briefing some people on likely outcomes and nudge and wink informal negotiations with the EU and they’re betting on a major role within the free market for the UK, which should mean less pain and suffering than some crack-pot UKIP style ‘going it alone’ plan.

molgrips
    Free Member

if the job you are doing stops, get another job

It’s not always that easy.

why worry about things that are out of your control

It is in your control though – you can save.

I speak from bitter personal experience here. I wish I’d saved when I was making lots of money instead of spending it all.

footflaps

People already are, car dealerships are having their quietest ever July, footfall in showrooms has plummeted.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Put a new bike build on hold – frame landed on the day the result was announced

All other non essentials I was considering (new TV & phone) are also now on hold for the foreseeable future

Daffy

Yes. I’ve cut back on everything, paying off debt and focusing on reducing expenditure.

khani
    Free Member

Not really, though Wetherspoons can FRO now..

jekkyl

the coffee in the machine at work has gone up 5p per cup, so yes my spending has significantly increased.

phil40
    Free Member

Was going to look at a van for bike/dog/family duties the day after the vote. When leave won we called the dealership and cancelled the appointment! No way in hell am I going to take on any debt for the next few years until we have a bit more clarity about what is going to happen!

We are lucky in that our only debt is our mortgage, but all of our spare cash is now going into savings/overpayments!

I cycle commute to work, and was thinking of getting a nice hub dynamo lighting set up, but that £300 has suddenly become much harder for me to let go of!

Ben_H

I’m an NHS employee already enjoying a clear cut in pay since 2010 (pay up 2% in 6 years, but pension more than doubled to 13.5% + NI 1.3%). Brexit really doesn’t bode well in many ways for the NHS.

Things are likely to get more expensive in the autumn and beyond, when today’s orders in foreign currency hit the market. I guess it’s a good time to buy stuff in the same way that, in hindsight, 2007 was… except that sentiment suggests it’s better to save the pennies right now.

A lot of UK-made things use foreign components, so I don’t expect price advantage to last long.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Yes, cutting down expenditure – just been made redundant and the couple of jobs I had just about lined up have suddenly been withdrawn due to ‘uncertainty’.

Belt is tightened.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Changed your spending habits/plans since the referendum?’ is closed to new replies.