Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Change of hours (i.e. contract) for a 'trial' period
  • mc
    Free Member

At the moment I’m on a contract that involves doing shifts, which attracts a contractual shift allowance.

Rumour has it management want to reduce hours (again!), which brings it under the hours needed to get the shift allowance. I know that in order for management to change my contract, I have to be given the legally required 12 weeks notice, unless I voluntarily agree to the changes.

However, I suspect management will be wanting to run a ‘trial’ period, which is where things get tricky. As part of my contract, I’m expected to work a shift pattern within the agreed opening hours, which can be changed with ‘reasonable’ notice (previous changes this has been one month).
    So in effect they can give me one month’s notice to work the new hours, but at what point can they then change my contract?

Would the notice period be required after the ‘trial’ period finishes, or could they just use the implied acceptance option that because I’m already working the hours, that I’ve accepted the changes?

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

At the risk of sounding an arse, soliciting advice on the internet. Is not you best course of action, contracts / employment law are complicated things. Are you a member of a union? Who represents employees in negotiations? Failing that CAB. Get advice from an expert who understand s your contractual situation.

Do not confuse the right to change hours with a trial period. Trial periods can be good for both parties, however the rules of the trial need to be stated first and not imply acceptance. If the trial is outside of your normal contractual conditions you have to agree it, otherwise they have to give you your statutory notice period for a change of conditions.

The best advice I can give is to join a union or go and see CAB.

Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Change of hours (i.e. contract) for a 'trial' period’ is closed to new replies.