Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Change of Direction
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

Sorry if this turns out to be a bit of a ramble, but I know people usually say writing things down can help.

just over 2 years ago, me and my wife discovered biking. This was probably one of the best things that’s ever happened to us as a couple and really strengthened our marriage.

We sort of leant towards more of the “Enduro” riding, with the aim of racing, getting faster etc. I thought this is what we enjoyed and purchased bikes based on this.

Recently, my Wife has had a bit of a health scare and it’s changed the way she (and I) look at things. We’ve come to realise that having fun on rides, no matter where they are is much more important than chasing times and getting faster.

She’s basically wanting a new bike after an operation and recovery and I’ve been thinking what type of bike she should go for as this effectively will be something similar to what I’ll end up changing to.

Going to look for something full suspension, not too heavy, want to try a 29er and suitable for trail centres, natural stuff and all day rides.

She currently has a Cube Sting HPA 140 and I have a Bird Aeris.

Anyone else had a sudden change of heart based on a life event? If I had the money, I’d probably buy a new bike every week to be honest 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

Be clear about what you expect to get out of your bike and pick where you want your compromises.

I live near the Chilterns but love jumpy-pumpy-bermy-techy-rooty stuff and general messing about in the woods.

So I ended up with a bike for most of my rides in the Chilterns – a Scott Spark, and a bike for the stuff I really like – a YT Capra which comes out for Wales, trail centers, FoD etc.

kayak23

We’ve come to realise that having fun on rides, no matter where they are is much more important than chasing times and getting faster

Fatbike…
    No other bike puts a smile on your face like it. 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

Till it gets muddy.

theboatman
    Free Member

Not so much a change of heart but I had my pelvis peppered with metal when I was 19, when I was fixed some was left in there. So role on 25 years, and I have some more metal work fitted to hold stuff together. Sad consequence is that road biking now crucifies me, but the more sat up position of the MTB is pretty much all good. So whilst I always primarily been a roadie, I have spent the last 12 months selling off my road bikes. It’s took a bit to get my head around, but it wasn’t something feeling sorry for myself was going to sort.
    So ‘Hi, I’m Stevie and I’m a mountain biker’ 🙂

johnw1984
    Free Member

Wow Stevie, that must have been tough 🙁

It’s ok though we’re a friendly bunch!

We realised we got into it for the social aspect most of all. Bikes that can climb well and descend techy stuff (but doesn’t have to bomb downhill) are ideal.

I think we’re over the bombing gnarpoon phase 🙂

I am fat curios though….

DickBarton

Anyone else had a sudden change of heart based on a life event? If I had the money, I’d probably buy a new bike every week to be honest

That doesn’t sound like a life event…not if it is changing that frequently…

Are you/her likely to start doing different biking to each other? If so, pick the bike most suited to the job.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Ignore the naysayers and haters, Fatbikes are Great fun, also try bikepacking as a couple and take it to a whole new level of enjoyment :mrgreen:

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Fat e-bike, perhaps full sus thrown in too?

There’s no doubt others, but for example, Specialized…
    https://www.specialized.com/eg/en/bikes/mountain/turbo-levo

km79
    Free Member

suitable for trail centres, natural stuff and all day rides.

She currently has a Cube Sting HPA 140 and I have a Bird Aeris.

These bikes look ok for all the above.

tthew

Do any of the big shops/manufacturers do demo days at this time of the year? Gives you a chance to try out different types of bike, even if it’s not the exact make or model you might like.

JoeG
    Free Member

kayak23 – Member

We’ve come to realise that having fun on rides, no matter where they are is much more important than chasing times and getting faster

Fatbike…
    No other bike puts a smile on your face like it.

+1 😀

warpcow
    Free Member

What km79 said, basically. What is it about your current bikes that doesn’t work for just riding and having fun?

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

+1 For what km79 said.

MarkyG82

If her worry is the type of riding then how about making her current bike a little lighter. That way she could still ride the more enduro stuff and get a little more miles under her belt too.

belugabob
    Free Member

Keep your existing bikes for fun rides, buy some decent hardtails and start bikepacking for some more relaxed, getting away from it all, weekends.

BigJohn

I take it she didn’t literally have a change of heart? Those transplants take a bit of getting over.

If your fun came from competition you might find riding for fun alone is a bit unfulfilling.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’d try a Fatbike, but I don’t think she’d be keen on them 🙂

We do like the bikes we have and I know she wants a new bike anyway soon so this has just pushed her to treat herself. Her Cube currently has a 150mm Yari on it.

She still likes the enduro stuff too, but she’s not bothered about attacking it at full speed anymore and trying to get better times etc. I’m feeling the same.

Not ashamed to admit that we were sucked in by all the marketing and hype of a certain type of riding. It’s more about the people who you’re with, rather than the “scene”.

Likewise, I do like my Aeris, but it only really feels fun going fast downhill. General riding and anything else, it just feels like a bit of a slog.

Everyone likes new bikes and maybe we’re using this as an excuse to buy shiny new stuff, but it’s just strange how perspective can suddenly change.

I’m going to keep my hardtail as my main bike for a bit, sell my Aeris frame and Fox fork, then when she’s recovered from the OP, test ride a few bikes.

I’m not sure the whole bikepacking this is for us though 🙂

Realising now this is basically a “what bike” thread!

Haha, not quite as serious as a heart transplant, she’ll be fine after 🙂

prawny

From the sounds of it a fatbike would be spot on to be honest, I loved the one I borrowed but it was too much hard work at full chat. For general riding I think a light rigid fatty would be awesome.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions and stuff guys. We went out on the bikes today and realised, they don’t need to be changed yet.

I did like the suggestion of replacing some of the bits for lighter components. Think I’ll start by replacing the boat anchor of a Sram NX cassette and go from there.

I think she’s gutted about not being able to have a go at racing again at the start of this year, but she can’t keep away so is probably going to marshal a few events.

I reckon a fatbike is a future N +1 in my future though 🙂

adscatt
    Free Member

If you don’t fancy a fat bike, how about a compromise, 650b+? I bought a charge cooker 0 for commuting, singlespeed, rigid, 650b+, absolutely love it, so much fun, I think if it had front suspension and gears then my hardtail or full suspension would never get ridden again. Many strava times have been equalled or bettered on my rigid bike, it’s reignited a love for getting muddy again.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Change of Direction’ is closed to new replies.