• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Change from Flows to crests, worth the money?
  • 663sqd
    Free Member

Hi all, I currently ride a cotic soda with ztr flow rims hope hubs and lust tyres on a tubeless set up. . This is great as an all mountain set up. . And is ok for xc. . I have just ordered some racing Ralph’s 2.25 to go on my flies to try and achieve a more xc set up, mainly for racing and riding general xc. . I am debating wether it is worth spending out on some crest rims. . And having crests with the Ralph’s. . (Keeping the flows for am stuff).
    Will the Ralph’s and flow combo work well or is it the crests I need, considering the price of a new wheel set. .

somouk
    Free Member

Surely it all depends on wheel weight and strength?

If you are riding stuff that requires flows then stick with those, if you are riding stuff that crests will cope with and can afford it then go with crests 🙂

I’m assuming nothing else will change, same hubs etc and you’re just considering a new set with different rims?

footflaps

I’d just stick with the flows unless you’re racing XC.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BadlyWiredDog

What he said. The biggest difference will be from the faster tyres rather than lighter rims and 2.25 Schwalbes work fine on Flows, nice profile to them. A better reason for a new wheel-set is that frequent tyre changing, particularly if you run tubeless, gets kind of irksome.

663sqd
    Free Member

Thanks all, I will be racing xc. . This weekend so will see how the flows and Ralph combo works, sounds like it should fit the bill. . I suppose ideally, to save the the changing process, and to have a slightly lighter set, the crests would be preferable for xc only stuff and the flows for everything else. Excited to see how much difference the r Ralph’s give me on the xc front. . .

663sqd
    Free Member

Yep somouk,, hubs would be the same Evo pro 2, so really just seeing what the crest rims would bring me over the flow on xc racing/riding. .

Northwind

It’s a fair old weight reduction and Crests are still tough… Up to you really whether it’s worth it though.

njee20
    Free Member

If you’re buying a set for light use only (and keeping the Flows) the Alpine is c20g lighter than the Crest. Check out A2Z and Funworks hubs for lightweight builds too.

Northwind

Thing is, if you’re going to a lighter rim you might also want to go with lighter spokes to boot. And Pro 2s aren’t that light either.

Or, you could spin off in another direction entirely… Roval Traversee ELs are still £360, and are sturdy for their 1600g weight. I killed a rear eventually, but it took abuse well beyond the call of duty and I think the final blow would have been too much for even a much stronger wheel.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have a set of crest and flow on pro 2 hubs. Noticed quite a big difference between them on my hardtail and hardly ever use the flows now (they go on the big bouncer.) I give the crests quite a bit of stick and they’ve done well, but I reckon on a hardtail where i’m trying to pick smoother lines anyway I’m unlikely to be hitting things hard enough to do them any serious damage (I’m also not that heavy which probably helps.)

Ran my crests most of last year with 2.25 Ralph’s and they work well.

Though agree with njee, if what you want is a properly lightweight setup for racing then it’s worth looking further afield than hope and crests, then just keep the flows for general trail duties.

663sqd
    Free Member

Thanks all for your comments, in the case of a proper xc race wheel set up what is out there for this purpose alone… Light racey fast. . ? What will the pros be using ? Are they mostly on carbon set ups?

honourablegeorge

Went from DT 5.1s to Crests on my Soul – the weight loss made it feel like a different bike. So worth it.

(I think I went tubeless at the same time, mind….)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I put cheap superstar crest wheels on my FS with 2.35 hans dampfs and took them to riviera bike in Italian Alps. No dramas.

br
    Free Member

I suppose ideally, to save the the changing process, and to have a slightly lighter set, the crests would be preferable for xc only stuff and the flows for everything else.

I run Crests for all my riding, so tbh that could mean they are overbuilt for ‘xc only’. But I reckon its the Flow’s that are overbuilt for anything but DH.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Change from Flows to crests, worth the money?’ is closed to new replies.