Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Champix
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

So, a few days away from my 40th and it’s about time to totally knock this smoking lark on it’s head.

I know it’s a stupid habit but I’ve found it impossible to give up with willpower and NRT. I just can’t stop. 1 more pack and then that’s it. Said it so many times. Doesn’t help that work is usually high stress and my colleagues often punctuate client visits with a bloody strong coffee and a smoke, while we debrief and plan the next job. (community psych nurse working with acutely unwell people – the worst of the worst – the ones who don’t like meds, don’t like jabs, take lots of drugs and f’kin hate us coming round).

So went to the GP today. Had a chat. Got a script for Champix. 40th birthday on the 10th. Doing it.

There.

binners

this might help

Good luck with it! Nearly six months since I packed in! I’m well chuffed with myself. Not as chuffed as my daughters are with their fag free dad though 🙂

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Three weeks cig free. I can’t believe I’ve lasted this long. I’ve been tempted for just 1 but know there’s just no point as 1 leads to 2 etc. Sad it’s taken me so long to get my arse in gear and do it. What a bloody idiot.

momo

I used Champix to help me stop, that was in July 2013, stop date was just before my 33rd birthday. The nurse at my surgery was very helpful, ended up not completing the course as I kept forgetting to take pills, that was about 6-7 weeks in and it wasn’t bothering me then.

Good luck with it, quiting the fags was one of the best decisions i ever made!

binners

Sad it’s taken me so long to get my arse in gear and do it. What a bloody idiot.

Pretty much how I now felt about it too. But then I just think how much better I feel since I stopped. All that matters is that you’re no longer a smoker. Well done fella! Keep going!

willard

Four years+ free here and loving it.

I always thought that the tablets just gave my will power that little extra push it needed to get on top of the addiction. it sounds like they did the same for you.

Good on you for taking that big step and good on you for succeeding.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Good luck with giving up, but I’d avoid champix like the plague, some very nasty and sometimes long lasting side effects. Now I’m aware that everything has potential side effects, but out of a non scientific straw poll of people I know who’ve used it about half of them have had what I’d consider unacceptable side effects (myself included), ranging from severe heart burn and night terrors to panic attacks an anxiety issues. Obvoliously the Internet is full of sensationalist horror stories, but have a read around at some of the less sensationalist stuff before you decide to take it.

5 and a half years since I stopped. Champix worked well for me. Piled on weight after I stopped but it was worth it. Better eating and more exercise has changed that. Not having my life revolve around smoking is really liberating.

mattbee

18 years a smoker with several attempts at quitting under my belt.
    Finally did it last June, right in the middle of a massive, high pressure project at work.
    NRT and a stupid vape thing got me to today. The biggest thing was that for some reason this time I really really didn’t want to smoke and it seems to have been some sort of mental shift that made it easier to quit.
    The effect on my fitness and my wallet helps too, although I have put a little weight on.
    Good luck bud. It’s a very personal battle, as will be attested by someone coming along and telling you they just stopped cold, another saying it was awful and a third saying they don’t understand the fuss who turns out to have had a quick puff on a fag at a party 25 years ago & comsiders themselves an expert.

RobHilton
    Free Member

What a bloody idiot.

Yes, however quitting is the best thing I’ve ever done – stick with it.

alexpalacefan

3 weeks, you need to get out for a ride with plenty of climbing. The improved lung-power is a tangible benefit that really helps me.

APF

aphex_2k
    Free Member

sofaboy…. im a community psych nurse with an acute team. if i dont spot my own symptoms, my colleagues will 🙂

willard

You say that, but I’ve been through depression (many years ago) and thought I would if they came up taking the tablets. I didn’t until I just about broke down. I stopped taking the tablets, but by then the desire to stop smoking had stuck and I din’t need them.

The low mood went away, I have not smoked since.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

sofaboy…. im a community psych nurse with an acute team. if i dont spot my own symptoms, my colleagues will

Here’s hoping it’s not a case of physician heal thy self then

stayhigh

Good work aphex, 🙂

I stopped around 8 years ago with a brief 6 month dalliance after me and ex seperated before I sorted myself out again.

My ex suffered wicked night terrors on champix and stopped taking them.because of that fwiw

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Woah…. Had a week of both constipation for a few days and “the other”. Kidney pain, back pain, hot at night, sweats. Thought I’d got gastro but no-one else in the house has it. Couldn’t work it out until I looked at the side effects potentially from champix.

A mate at work said he had similar too. Utterly horrible. In 4 days I managed a kit kat and half an omelette!

Anyone else get this?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Champix’ is closed to new replies.