Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Chamonix,or Les Arcs on the cheap,help advice pls..?
  • Blower
    Free Member

looking at either of these two places for mid August,but trying to do it cheap as possible,bit skint, self accomodation and transfers, and maybe 3 days of guiding,otherwise wont be able to find the best bits i doubt ;0)..

help advice needed pls..cheers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Buses exist from Geneva aiport to Chamonix I am told.

I just googled for an appt when I went in May.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Transfers to Les Arcs/Bourg Saint Maurice in the summer are pretty-much non-existant. Speak to the guys at CoolBus or the only other real option is to get the train from Geneva to Bourg. It's pretty slow as you have to change 2 or 3 times. Check out http://www.sbb.ch for train info (the French train website http://www.sncf.com is a bit rubbish for cross-border journeys).

Blower
    Free Member

Coolbus a no goer by the looks, may have to be bus or train,only 2 of us going,so non affordable,unless we could share with a group…

cheap self accomodation?

where did you go Al?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Chamonix. IIRC a lot of trails are walkers only in July/August.

Doug
    Free Member

Drive down Saturday, camp here and use the map downloadable from here then drive back on the Sunday for 7 full days of riding. Drive down overnight on the Friday if there's a couple of drivers to get some leep in then ride the Saturday afternoon leaving the final Saturday as a rest day to explore the wider area Col de L'Iseran/Col du Petit St-Bernard/Cormet de Roselend before returning. It makes the drive back much easier.

coffeeking
    Free Member

We did 3 weeks in Les Arcs by plane to Lyon then train to BSM many moons ago. It was some effort though.

Blower
    Free Member

Not much point in Chamonix if most of the trails are walkers only then ;0(

Just want a change from Morzine, cheers for the advice so far.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Blower: we MIGHT be able to help out with transfers to the Les Arcs area at a reasonable price. Depends on your dates, arrival times and our availability. Drop me an email (click on my username for website).

Blower
    Free Member

Bump for the daytime shift :0)

markfu
    Free Member

I'm staying at Les Glieres in Bourg St Maurice in the first week of August, it's 200m from the funicular to the Les Arcs ski area. I've paid £300 for 2 of us for a week. I'll pop the link up on here later. i think that they still have room in mid August, unless they've not updated the page.

I have also seen somewhere fo 15 euros pppn. I'll try and find that later too.

markfu
    Free Member
    Blower
    Free Member

Cheers markfu £300 ain't too bad for 2 of u will have a look at that now

markfu
    Free Member

I stumbled across THIS place yesterday aswell. it's a bunkhouse, but at £14 pppn it is about as cheap as you'll get.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Chamonix,or Les Arcs on the cheap,help advice pls..?’ is closed to new replies.