Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Chamonix – worth a visit?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Considering dropping into chamonix for a day on the way to Les 2 alps this summer.

How easy are the trails worth riding to find? I’ve got it in my head that some of the trails are down to locak knowledge rather than waymarked.

Anyone got any recommendations for trails, bars, restaurants and places to stay?

Steve77
    Free Member

When are you going? You’re not supposed to ride the footpaths in July and August which cuts out some fun trails, although midweek it’s less of an issue.

jedi

bushwacked, i’ll chat to you about it when i see you

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Jedi – sweet. I’ll have to drop by to have an evening ride with you sometime.

We’ve penciled in the 1st Thursday/Friday of July

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Go, even if you don’t ride!

Stunning place, well worth a visit as a tourist, even better on a bike/skis.

FOG

It Is lovely but a bit like Blackpool in the mountains in the summer with big queues for lifts etc.

Grump
    Free Member

You’re just into the bike ban time at the start of July, but fortunately the trails are still relatively quiet then, nothing like August when all but the most hidden aren’t worth riding as you’re constantly stopping (and chatting, on the whole walkers are less bothered by bikes over here)

If you’re just in town for a couple days then don’t worry about the ban anyway as there are still a load of legal trails that will easily keep you occupied. Having spent 6 months in L2A and 6 years in Chamonix I’d also say that there’s far more to keep you occupied away from the bikes in Chamonix! Yes, there’ll be big queues for the Midi, but the rest of the valley will be fairly chilled out.

For more inspiration (and something nice for the coffee table) check out Tom’s bike book ( http://www.thechamonixbikebook.com/ ) which includes lots of trails for the bike ban and the blog ( http://www.chamonixbikeblog.com/ )particularly the pages on bike ban legal trails here

tmb467
    Free Member

Grand Montets cablecar, turn right and follow the trail back down to Chamonix

[video]https://youtu.be/–4PiNigba4[/video]

wideboy
    Free Member

Good thread, i’m also keen to find out what the biking options are in Cham in summer.

Is there much in the way of DH trails or is it all walking path/natural type stuff more suited to an AM bike, sorry, ‘enduro’!.

Both are good, just wondering.

Cheers

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I would try and describe, but speak to Jedi instead. 🙂

Anyone got any recommendations for trails, bars, restaurants and places to stay?

Everywhere is expensive, but go to the Micro Brasserie de Chamonix on the Argentiere road and try their beer – food’s good too. I knew the owners while working the valley in 2003, but I imagine things have changed a little since.

http://www.mbchx.com/eng%20mbc%20home.htm

Google Maps.

oldejeans
    Free Member

I’ll second the chamonix bike book. The descent from Chalet Caillet is fantastic if you’ve just got the couple of hours. I also ‘explored’ a little on the other side and as mentioned I had no bother with walkers. If you have a full day I’d head up to Brevent

jambalaya
    Free Member

You won’t get much better advice than asking @jedi. The Bike Book is good.

Yes its definitely worth a visit, TBH I would spend more than 1 day there it will be absolutely worth it.

jedi

my mate phil has a chalet les frenez at le bosson look it up 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member
    jedi

its awesome
    phil and michelle are so cool

JohnnyPanic

Micro Brasserie is good.
    Also try Midnight Express burger bar on the main drag (Rue du Dr Paccard) near the Post Office.
    Amazing everything you can eat in a burger Burgers.
    Drooling now.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Chamonix – worth a visit?’ is closed to new replies.