Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Chamonix Trip info
  • gj78
    Free Member

Off to Chamonix the first week of september for my first Alps trip.

Wondered if anyone can help with info on the best trails/runs and all-mountain loops to ride. What are your experiences?

Would it be worth getting a guide for the day/half day.

Cheers

sfusion
    Free Member

We did tour du mont blanc last year starting from chamonix. Our guide recommended this book for if we ever came back to the area Chamonix Bike Book I can’t vouch for it as I’ve never read is. There’s a bike shop in chamonix called zero-g that have a few books and could probably help you out.

gj78
    Free Member

Thanks i’ll check it out.

Also is it easy to find your way around there?

saxabar
    Free Member

Less popular than other spots, but those who go tend to return. The book mentioned above is written by Tom from Zero-G (who has also been seen on here). If you stop by, he’ll recommend routes. The riding is possibly a little steeper and more technical than elsewhere, but there is open and flowy stuff – particularly over towards La Tour. Lots of good riding off the Brevent lift from town that is ‘just’ within my capabilities. I love it there, but it’s not a brakes-off let it rip place.

Shandy
    Free Member

http://chamonixbikeblog.wordpress.com/

Loads of ideas on there. You are best off buying the IGN maps if you don’t get a guide.

tmb467
    Free Member

depends what lifts are open really…we did a very nice trail from mid-station of Grand Montets lift all the way back to Le Levancher (it was referred to as the Goat Trail – think its also known as the Grand Balcon Nord

when we were there last year, only the Vallorcine & Le Tours lifts were taking bikes (Flegere allowed them but not to the very top)

Les Houches bike park was closed and unmaintained (made it very dangerous) but the lifts still accepted the bikes

I’d suggest finding a decent guide who knows the biking round there, though

gj78
    Free Member

Thats great thanks guys, will definitely drop in to Zero-G for a chat about routes.

bland

I have a Cham bike book I’ll sell you if you want it? Bought it last year but just seems a hassle riding there now what with lift Closures, train not running and spot fines for riding the wrong trails. Rode there 3 times and its good but not easy to find trails that join together IMO – check lifts are still open that week too as most places will be closed

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Daughter lives there so have ridden quite a few things no guide. Les Houche is good cct of the valley on the Balcons excellent.
    Excellent descents above Servoz long rides up on forest traks/tarmac.

More info here

gj78
    Free Member

bland – how much do you want for the book?

sambob
    Free Member

Tour Du Mont Blanc is awesome, but bear in mind the weather may be awful at the start of September. We got caught out in a blizzard on the Col Du Joly in early September and it’s the closest I’ve ever been to Hypothermia.

freeridenick
    Free Member

September is best. no closures, most lifts running, less walkers, more settled weather…

trains all running this year from june.

The variety of riding, train/lift access etc – is hard to beat really.

bland

£11 posted?

Train appears to be still off in 2013 with the bus replacement in use again

gj78
    Free Member

freeridenick – Are you familiar with the area, can you recommend any trails or areas to ride?

bland – i’ll have the book, how do we go about the transaction?

Grump
    Free Member

Hi GI78, just to help with your planning, the trains MIGHT be back on by then, as Freeridenick says they’re due to start running again late June, but then again, they were meant to be running up to Argentiere again for this winter, so…. The bus replacement will be running if the trains aren’t, but you can’t take bikes on it. The bike bus, which you can and is very useful, only runs July & August, the same time as the bike ban.

Bikes are (or at least, last year were) allowed on the Mont Blanc tramway, LEs Houches Prarion & Bellevue gondolas , Brevent 1st stage (sometimes second stage), Flegere 1st stage, GM 1st stage, Le Tour & Vallorcine lifts. Plenty to go at…

The Tour du Mont Blanc is awesome, write up in the chamonixbikeblog linked above.

You’ll be out in the best week of the year when all (perhaps not GM right enough) the lifts will be running, there’s no bike ban (other than the year round one for the Aig Rouge national park)and the trails are nice and quiet.

Enjoy

gj78
    Free Member

Thanks Grum p, thats made me feel a whole lot more positive about the trip!

Is it easy enough to navigate?

plumber
    Free Member

We had a day at les houches a couple of years ago. Some quite testing trails there actually

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Chamonix Bike Book will sort you out, I got mine from ZeroG mail order. I also bought the IGN maps – you need a few. The riding is spread out along the valley. Search the old threads there are quite a lot of tips / advice there.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Tom’s books is a great starting point. IGN map and a nose for exploring is good…

As Grump say, first week of september is the best, GM will be shut but only 1 or 2 OK trails off that.

bland

Drop me an email gj78 as yours ain’t in your profile and I’ll get it off to you monday

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Chamonix Trip info’ is closed to new replies.