Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Chamonix – Trail Advice
  • Rik
    Free Member

Hoping for some ideas for my trip to the Alps in 3 weeks.

Going for 2 weeks – 1 in Les Arcs and 1 in Chamonix. I've got a marked up trail map of Les Arcs so that sorted. But trails in Chamonix is the next to plan. I know Chamonix well after many years of Alpine climbing in the valley but I've never been with the bike, will probably be staying in Argentiere.

Would be great to have some ideas of trails, which are the best lifts to hit the trails.

Also heard that some of the main trails are closed during the summer, so would like to know how much this will effect the riding and quantity of good trails.

Thanks in advance

Rik
    Free Member

Any help?

jedi

plan praz(la flegere) out of lift and down to disused cable car then follow trail to la savoyez 🙂

grand montetes out of car follow fire road til you see a step path to right(47 switchbacks) go back up lift then do same but follow fireroad/trail to les bois campsite(la lavancher)

twohats
    Free Member
    peasnotwar
    Free Member

Type chamonix into the forum search – lots of advice there.
    was there 2 weeks ago – the trails off Brevent , Flegere and Argentiere are very restricted in July and August, i got the feeling that they (police & Mayor) will enforce it very strongly this year (although they will probably still be happy to sell you an MTB lift pass).
    This pretty much just leaves Vallorcine (DH) and Le Tour at the top of the valley and Les Houches further down. Even Le Tour has some restrictions (& plenty of arsey walkers)!
    Check the chamonix website for MTB/Lift and train info. Free public transport for tourists but trains limit to 5 bikes (at the discretion of conductor).
    Still good for a visit and worth while getting a guide or the book by Tom @ Zero G in Chamonix (available from chainreaction i think).
    Could be a bit dissappointing if you know the place and expect to ride certain trails ie; Holy trail etc.
    Have a good time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Chamonix – Trail Advice’ is closed to new replies.