• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Chamonix snowboarding
  • gj78
    Free Member

Going to Chamonix for the first time at the end of the month, anyone got any good hints/tips for the resort or any recommendations on runs to do?

Cheers

passtherizla
    Free Member

poco loco burger Bar.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Its not really a resort, its more of a town.

The skiing/boarding is split at various places up and down the valley so you will need a car or use the bus quite regularly.

How good are you and where are you staying?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gj78
    Free Member

Staying in the south-west of Chamonix town centre, got a car and I would say we are good intermediate boards.

leffeboy

If you get fresh snow then head to the far side of the Le Tour area. The pistes are all more basic so tend to be avoided by the better riders which means the off piste stuff at the back often gets left alone for a long time

Enjoy. I love it there

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Do you know about the layout? 3 main areas.

Le Tour – top of the valley, some great off piste.

Brevent/Flegere for most lifts, easiest access and nice sunshine. Can get slushy.

Grand Montets for big off piste bowls. North West facing, no sun till afternoon, can be cold, does not soften once icy but epic in powder.

Midi. One big lift, for Vallee Blanche – doable for an intermedaite but you MUST take a guide. Airy ridge to get in and crevasses all the way down. When I was there a couple of weeks ago there were missing posters of a Belgium boarder last seen at the top of the Midi. Very sad, but Chamonix has potential to be as gnarly as you want – don’t underestimate the off piste.

Unlimited Pass is expensive and only benefit is access to a few big lifts – Midi, Gnd Montent top lift, Montonvers tram. If you don’t plan on using these, just get a ‘Le Pass’. You can upgrade per day or trip if you want.

If you like unpisted blacks, the top lift on the Grand Montets gives access to some amazing terrain (off piste is glaciated, cliffs, steep – stay on piste or take a guide). It’s run by a separate company so either use an ‘Unlimited’ pass or pay per trip. Point du Vue has amazing views. Take a moment to climb to the viewpoint when you leave the lift. Lift gets busy and slots need prebooking.

Poco Loco (sit upstairs) for cheap burger and cosy atmosphere.

Rooftop restaurant on Hotel Alpina for panoramic views (if it’s light) and 30 differnt types of meat on a hot stone!

Free avalanche talk at Le Terrasse (town centre) every Monday from Avalanche Academy. Worth it if you are going off piste, even the edges. Stay safe.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Also Vallorcine opened up since I ws last there…

16stonepig
    Free Member

Going there on Saturday. I was there a year ago, but there had been no snow for a month beforehand, so couldn’t really recommend any of it.

I remember the ungroomed black from the back of the Grands Montets lift being particularly terrifying. Solid ice and impossible to get an edge in until I nearly slid onto the glacier below.

plumber
    Free Member

Despite what people say I really like Les Heuches which is just down the valley

Overall though Chamonix is the most overated area I’ve ever boarded or skied

And the town itself sucks apart from the fantastic little bakery opposite tourist info office which is almost worth making the trip for

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Again to avoid the crowds head to Le Tour, some nice intermediate skiing.

Le Grande Montet is a fantastic place if its quiet (rare) and has some great accesable good off piste skiing. From what I recall you get 3 free passes to the very top with full area pass(may have changed now). There is a marked black route down from the top which gives you a real wilderness experience whilst still in relative safety. When the conditions are good I’d say its more of a red run. The decent from the very top of Montet to the valley bottom takes ages, even tanking it and is a real leg killer 🙂

I thought the Midi was pay per ride only ie not on any area passes, and is about £35+. You don’t have to have a guide, I’ve done it in the past without one, but you do need to be harnessed up etc. If you not used to proper mountaineering or high mountains get a guide.. I’d probably say skiing down from the Grand Montet gives you 70% of the experience of the Midi without the traffic jams (yes literraly the ques to get down if you follow the tourist route)

I don’t really recall much about Le Brevent other than it having small beginners areas, and a one or 2 reasonable couloirs.

I also thought Les Houches was in the same pass, but I’ve never been there.

Just read above about ability for skiing Valle Blanc. Its easy beginners can do it! I kid you not, I have seen people being roped up with a guide behind controling their decent while they have tried to snow plough. The only reason for doing the Valle Blanc is to get that big mountain experience thing. Its neither off piste or wilderness unless you take one of the alternate routes (like coming out of the tunnel and turning right under the cable car which is great fun 🙂 )

derekrides
    Free Member

+1 for La Tour had some good riding there, I’d avoid Argentierre and Mont Blanc on a snowboard, it used to be very mogulled up by the extreme skier types, what’s the name of the first resort you come to in the valley Les Eaux or something like that there were a few nice runs through the trees as I recall.

Chamonix itself is or was a big party town back in the day, then it was an area that accepted snowboards early on when the rest of the Alps were still refusing or trying to ban us, but sadly once the rest opened up there is better riding elsewhere, but like the other dude said, give La Tour a look, we had some excellent fresh track days up there and it’s wide open, nice easy riding..

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Top of Gnd Montets and Midi are included in the Unlimited pass as well as Les Houches, Couramyeur and Verbier.

http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/en/lift-passes

Brevant has some excellent skiing of the Index lift and some good couloirs and chutes but the North face is the real deal – used for freeride events under the top cablecar and serious lines like the ENSA couloir off the top.

singletrackmind

Any idea how long it takes to get to Verbier from Chamonix ?
    I was in verbier in Jan , and am off to Chamonix on 10 Mar.
    Loved Verbier although we missed the best of the snow, We have a hire car so if its easy might whizz over.

Spin
    Free Member

If you want to ski on piste then there are better places. Cham really comes into its own if you want to go backcountry / off piste.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Chamonix snowboarding’ is closed to new replies.