Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Chamonix Les Houches routes etc
  • thestoth
    Free Member

Hi all.

First time poster, and i’m after some info!!

Group of us are off to Chamonix at the end of the month and was wondering if anyone had any advice about routes. I’ve had a search through the annals (no jokes) of the MBR forum history and have found a few good bits about kit etc but not much about actual routes.

Specifically i’d be keen if anyone knows of GPS routes round there. Tried to have a look on Strava but didn’t seem that many routes on there other than roadies.

Cheers in advance!!

GregMay
    Free Member

Get maps – find out when the trails are fair game – go explore.

There is loads there, you just have to be aware that some are not open to you as a MTB rider at certain times of the year. Wonderful place to ride, love it. Over there in September.

I don’t have routes to share, sorry.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

There’s a Tom Wilson-North guide book available. In fact I have a copy somewhere. It’s pocket notebook size so you’d need a map/maps to support the riding/following the route. They’ll probably sell it in Zero G in CHX but it’s still probably available online.

I’m sure other guide books for the area are available too. Get a book. Get a map. Enjoy!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Si
    Free Member

Yep the Chamonix Bike Book is the way forward. Look up Agile de Trient

thestoth
    Free Member

Fantastic! Cheers for the info. I thought it might involve a bit more searching but was hoping for a quick fix. Cheers again!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

there are some nice trails over near St. Gervais/Megeve but they aren’t on most of the maps so you need a local/guide really.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

We’re headed there 1st weekend Sept.Got the Chamonix bike book it’s well put together and the trails looked well marked.

whitestone
    Free Member

We were out there last week – not many Strava segments at all – many of them turned out to be the chairlifts!

There’s a couple of bike shops in Chamonix who can provide more info as well.

Si
    Free Member

And if your confident piecing information from a map together try the Chanoinx Bike Blog – great read.

tomw_n
    Free Member

Hi, I’m Tom, I wrote the chamonix bike book that is often mentioned here. Huge thanks to the community for the seal of approval, it’s humbling and flattering.

The book is for sale here and ships from Chamonix, normally takes about four days to arrive. If you need it quicker than that or if you forget before you go then you can find it in Maison de la Presse or Zero G in Chamonix town.

All the singletrack worth riding is in the book except some off-limits stuff in the nature reserves, which still gets ridden but isn’t officially ‘allowed’. Although I can’t remember anyone going to prison for doing it.

Just another tip, keep an eye on lift openings at the end of the month via the Compagnie du Mont Blanc info page here as if lifts close during your stay you’ll clearly want to structure your time to get the most out of the uplift network.

As a footnote, x1 to Si’s recommendation for the Chamonix Bike Blog, the author of that is on this forum too and kicks arse on a mountain bike. http://www.chamonixbikeblog.com/ for that.

Have a wicked time 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Chamonix Les Houches routes etc’ is closed to new replies.