Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Chamois Cream – what's that all about then?
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

I see lots of people swearing by the stuff and recommending it to all and sundry. Never use the stuff myself and never seen a need to use the stuff – so what’s it all about?

nickc

Lube innit.

Lubricated surface don’t rub, they glide.

Honestly, how long you been riding?

Sam

Reduces friction and chafing. For rides of 50 miles or more I find it makes a big difference. For short rides I don’t generally bother.

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s for less awesome people than yourself to avoid a sore botty 🙂

feisty
    Free Member

Up to 60 miles in a session I am fine but 100 miles wears the skin off ma bum and that stuff helps

mudshark
    Free Member

Conotrane is a popular cheap option.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Honestly, how long you been riding?

Just been riding for around 30odd years. That probably makes me a noob in these parts.

I also only tend to just do short rides.

the_lecht_rocks

would Sudocream suffice ?

wors

Give it a try, it feels luvverly 😀

glupton1976
    Free Member

I can only imagine that it would feel like riding the bike after having a very wet fart.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

I like its tingly sensation but i’m a bit weird like that 😆

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s for those who go commando. I don’t go commando and have no probs.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Day long wet or sweaty rides get nasty chapping on the inner thighs from all the urea you are sweating out. It helps reduce rubbing and chapping. Sudocreme is a cheap, if less effective, substitute.

For 1-3 hours I don’t bother.

Spin
    Free Member

I am scarred for life by witnessing my big hairy bastard of a mate apply Chammy Cream.

His expression was an 11 on the Egremont Crab Fair Gurning Scale.

It was only because he was smoking a roll up that I could tell which end I was looking at.

chickenman

Essential pre ride male bonding ritual I believe; guys stand in a circle facing clockwise and everybody applies Chammy Cream to the bloke in front! 😀

boblo
    Free Member

I made the double faux pas of admitting to not wearing bibs or using chamois cream to much derision from the ‘experts’ on here. Been riding for a similar time as George and all undercarriage components still intact thankyouverymuch… 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

i find over 75 miles me bum cheeks develop hot spots on the saddle contact points du to the chammy sticking to the skin, cream alleviates this and enables much longer distances as you are more bothered by tired legs than how ripped your flabby bits are gonna be when you finish

boobs

Apparently sudocream isn’t so good. After a Gorrick it had turned to glue. Made me smart it did. Had a very smooth bum afterwards! 😯

nickc

Just been riding for around 30odd years

these are gears, those are pedals, anything else?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Apparently sudocream isn’t so good. After a Gorrick it had turned to glue

Did you put half the tub on? 😆

I invariably find it vanishes; who knows where…

bigjim

you mean these Eurostyle butter creme packs aren’t energy gels? 😯

maccruiskeen

Never use the stuff myself and never seen a need to use the stuff

I’ve never needed to wear glasses or a hearing aid or built up shoe, so it baffles me that anyone else would want to. Christ knows why people need guide dogs, whats that all about?.

rootes1

i used to use it. but now do not now found a saddle that suits.

I find that can do several days at 80-100miles a day without.. though if on a tour the antibac helps..

just been to germany for a 4 day trip, took two pairs of shorts, my mate only one..now he has a UTI..

Sudocreme is good at the end of the day, but not in use, not slippy enough..

AndrewJ
    Free Member

would Sudocream suffice ?

Apparently sudocream isn’t so good. After a Gorrick it had turned to glue. Made me smart it did. Had a very smooth bum afterwards!

I’ve done 12 and 24 hour solo events and have only ever used Sudocrem. Great stuff and a fraction of the price of the cycling specific creams. It has the added benefit of being antiseptic too!

trail_rat
    Free Member

the guys i rode with all swore by it ……

i used it a few times ….. always ended up in more of a mess than if i hadnt used it …

they all used cheap shorts though

soon as i changed to decent shorts i never had to use it. Including 6 months on tour , 24 hour races , back to back 300km days

mudguards or Waterproof shorts for wet days make a big difference

honeybadgerx

After finishing a five day coast-to-coast bike ride last week (will get round to doing a write up and some pics at some point), I can honestly say it saved our arses!

bigjim

some pics

good god man no

clubber
    Free Member

some people are more affected by saddle soreness than others. I’m one of the lucky ones it seems but I can see why those less fortunate use chamois cream.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Hoo Ha Ride Glide for the win 🙂

Your Hoo Ha will thank you for it (If you’re a girl that is …)

clubber
    Free Member

or the girl’s other half I expect 😉

honeybadgerx

some pics

good god man no

Oh yes…

[/url] IMG_0364 by jamess677, on Flickr[/img]

[/url] IMG_0362 by jamess677, on Flickr[/img]

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Chamois Cream – what's that all about then?’ is closed to new replies.