Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Chamois cream recommendations – help keep my undercarriage tidy
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I prefer a thicker lotion, got some great stuff made by Overstims in France a few years ago but it’s running out and not available in UK.

Tried another brand but it’s much sloppier and I’d prefer to avoid that dirty nappy sensation after pulling my shorts up.

Any suggestions?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sudocrem works for me.

nemesis
    Free Member

Can you just order it direct. Benefits of the EU and all…

https://www.overstims.com/ANTI-CHAFFING-CREAM

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Assos, always

daleftw
    Free Member

Massive fan of Morgan Blue soft stuff, but it is ‘sloppy’. Don’t see it as an issue like, actually prefer it. If you want it harder, then probably Assos or MBs solid stuff.

lunge

I’m currently using this, Paceline European Style Butt’r. Quite thick, a little minty and does the job well.

If you can find some Beljum Budder that’s was very good too but I believe they’ve stopped making it.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

Asos is great, Sudocrem if you really like the thick gloop though.

everyone
    Free Member

Assos +1.

Threads over, get some work done!

chakaping
    Free Member

You had my hopes up there nemesis, but postage to UK doubles the price.

Is Assos thick and does it rub in quick? That’s what I like about the Overstims stuff, Sudocrem just smears about and makes a mess doesn’t it?

AntLockyer
    Free Member

It sort of melts, rubs in quick and is medicated.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m sold then

MTB-Rob
    Free Member
    nemesis
    Free Member

postage to UK doubles the price

What price, comfort? 🙂

theotherjonv

I like this

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HNDANC/docs-all-natural-chamois-cream

Not too sloppy, not too thick.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sudocrem just smears about and makes a mess doesn’t it?

Well I am sure it does if you put half a tub on !

It might leave your short pad a bit white, but what does that matter, better than brown 🙄

theotherjonv

Comments like that on the derailed Ramadan thread please 😉

matts
    Free Member

I have been an Assos man for the last few years. The Chamois Butt’r Euro Style is OK for shorter rides, but the Assos stuff has more staying power for longer rides.

A few weeks ago I bought some of the new Castelli dry lube. First impressions are very good. The biggest thing is that you get none of the slippy sloppy feeling of regular creams, You don’t notice it’s there at all, but you get no chafing.It’s a bit expensive, but you need very little of it relative to other creams.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Waitrose baby bottom or vaseline.

The latter did the trick for 40 miles this morning

wilburt
    Free Member

Coconut cream from savers, slap it on good and thick.

iainc

for what type of rides/duration are folks using these products ?

zero-cool
    Free Member

Currently using some from Chapeau and it seems to work well. Have also used Assos cream as well which was good as well

uwe-r
    Free Member

Just curious –How much of this gunk are you chaps applying? I might occasionally use some downstairs lube but only a thin application prior to a long ride? I get the impression some of you are really slopping it on every time you pop down the shops on the bike?

chakaping
    Free Member

Just a bit for long or hot – or long and hot – rides (fnarr fnarr).

My last tube has pretty much lasted since 2011, to give you an idea.

lunge

Just a bit for long or hot – or long and hot – rides (fnarr fnarr).

Yep, that’s me too. 100km+ I’ll apply, much less than that and I won’t.

nemesis
    Free Member

5 years!

In that case, < £25 for the one you know works for you seems like good value 🙂

tillydog
    Free Member

Does me for all day rides. £2.50/500g from Sainsbury’s.

Not greasy, but may be a bit sloppy for the OP.

matts
    Free Member

for what type of rides/duration are folks using these products ?

Just curious –How much of this gunk are you chaps applying?

Anything over half an hour. For my morning commute – 45 mins – I just wave my fingers at the pot and apply a tiny amount either side of the perineum.

If I’m doing a couple of hours training I’ll use a little more. And for 5/6 hours, I’ll be a bit more liberal (a good squeeze of toothpaste maybe, rather than a handful)

The Castelli dry lube stuff seems to require much less, and has excellent ‘staying power’.

For big adventures (all day in the saddle) I may take a dab of cream in some foil and apply half way though the day.

Kryton57

Buttonhole from PX. Mintier than Assos, half the price just as effective.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Charlie the bikemungers bum butter works really really well pre and post ride silky smooth no rashes and I can’t really say anything bad about it it works and smells nice

kcal

Morhulin is pretty sticky rather than smeary, works a treat – based on – I think cod liver oil (certainly has a certain whiff). Great for all-day application.

johnw1984
    Free Member

OK, this might be a silly question, but how is it applied? Do you put it on the chamois or under yourself?

Never used the stuff before, but I want to get a few more miles in on the road.

I’ll be looking at all the suggestions in this thread 🙂

Kryton57

Cream in hand, cup then apply liberally to the under carriage. Avoid Knob, might sting a bit.

wilburt
    Free Member

I use cream on any ride of any note, so pretty much whenever I’m wearing bibs. I used to use bike specific stuff, quite liked Endura but afrer a while and perhaps roo many times of not having the real deal to hand I started using whatever was to nearby, often my wifes hand and face cream. So now Palmers Butter or whatever looks quite thick in the Savers £1 for a tub section is my choice. There all much the same,
    I apply it liberally on everything bum, creases and right up to the Jon Thomas. I dont see any point in being mincy just slap it on and ride.

milky1980
    Free Member

MTB Rob – I use the Chapeau cream and it’s as good as the Assos stuff for me, thinner so goes on better whereas the Assos stuff can be a bit hard if it’s cold.

legend
    Free Member

So this isn’t the STW cream of choice anymore?

Do the folk that put cream on for every ride possibly like the feeling a bit too much?

johnw1984
    Free Member

Thanks Kryton57, no nonsense! 🙂

emyr

Got a sample of Bikemonger’s Happy Bottom Bum Butter at the Dorset Gravel Dash signon. Forgot to use it. Suffered for a few days after.

3 days of MTBing in last weekend’s heatwave, dab of Bum Butter each day, super sweaty but no problems.

iainc

I use Assos or those single packets of chamoix butter stuff when on multiday rides, otherwise I do’nt bother. I wear bib shorts all the time and don’t feel the need on a regular ride

atlaz
    Free Member

The Udderly Smooth mostly because a tub is lasting me forever. I had some samples of some rapha stuff which weren’t noticably better (I also couldn’t buy that as I have their winter embro and mixing the two cans up could be nasty).

matts
    Free Member

I used to use the Udderly cream. I thought there was no way I was paying more for the Assos stuff. Then I tried it. No comparison really. Unless you fill your shorts with it, the Udderly seems to dry out and lose its lubricating properties after a couple of hours.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Chamois cream recommendations – help keep my undercarriage tidy’ is closed to new replies.