Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Chamois cream – does sodocrem work?
  • jonba
    Free Member

Much cheaper than the cycling specific alternatives. So do you use it, does it work and are there any drawbacks.

scruff
    Free Member

Yes, Yes, my young children dont get to use it anymore.

dustytrails

Sudocrem is what you use if you haven’t used arse butter for a long ride – sudocrem is (afaik)for treating rashes whereas chamois cream is to prevent by cooling & greasing, it also generally contains some antibacterial gear too.
    So in answer – I guess no!!

headfirst
    Free Member

sodocrem…I think that might ease pain in the bum differently to what you’re getting at…I think you mean sudocrem 😆

Tim
    Free Member

What dustytrails said

It’ll help, but i always thought that sudocrem wouldn’t provide as much protection against chafing.

And its better for after ride soothing 🙂

duntstick
    Free Member

But if you happen to have ‘sodocrem’ lying around………use that. Sudocrem’s good though

MrSmith
    Free Member

sudochrem is not the same as chamois cream
    arse lard expensive? £10 for something that lasts a year?
    how much was your bike(s)?

messiah
    Free Member

Dries out too quickly to lube…. but great if you didn’t use enough of the real stuff.

I like the udder creme stuff and the Assos not quite as minty as it used to be arse lard.

jonba
    Free Member

my speling is teribal in thees posts 😉

I currently use udderly smooth. I know it isn’t massively expensive but if you ever look at a bottle of moisturiser (or similar) then you’ll find, once you get past the marketing names to make things sound more complicated, they all essentially contain the same ingredients. For example you pro formula anti ageing it is essentially e45 with some marketing and a hefty pricetag.

I was wondering if sudocreme is actually pretty similar to the chamois creams as what you get riding isn’t far off nappy rash. I’m always reluctant to waste money, even if it’s only a small amount!

bigyinn
    Free Member

sodocream, proper lol’s at that one!! 😀

bigdonx
    Free Member

IME – Sudocrem fine for shorter rides (1 or 2 hours), but usually use the proper stuff for anything longer – especially if lots of pedalling involved – as it seems to have better staying power.

Try it and see – you’ll soon know if it doesn’t work!

For external application only btw……. 😆

Driller
    Free Member

You know what, I’ve ridden for years and years. Miles and miles, multi-days, back-to-back, in the mountains and in the desert and everywhere in-between, and I have never, ever felt the need to lubricate my ass in any way, shape or form.

Am I just lucky? Or do I just have a hard-ass?

And you’re completely right, why am I even reading this thread?

As you were.

molgrips
    Free Member

once you get past the marketing names to make things sound more complicated, they all essentially contain the same ingredients

Yeah like all wine, all beer and all cakes.

I’d not use sudocrem. It’s very sticky, whereas minty arse lard is slippery, probably for a reason.

Driller – mtb or road? IIRC arse lard is for when your shorts chafe, which can happen when they get a bit damp.

I don’t use it.

jonba
    Free Member

wine beer and cakes are different as there is a process involved other than simple mixing. Also the “ingredients” actually have a very complex chemical make up and are not the same if looked at in detail. Not all grapes are the same but all sodium lauryl sulphate is as it’s mass produced in a controlled chemical plant.

Anyway that aside, below 3 hours I don’t but after a particularly humiliating trip to a GP with an infected saddle sore I started using it on long or hot rides. There are topics on here about this kind of thing but I seem particularly prone to ingrown hairs and the like. It can be a right pain in the arse.

Anyway, maybe I’ll stick to the real thing. Are they all much of a muchness or have people tried more than one and and found them to be better?

MrSmith
    Free Member

i guess people get the fear over ‘minty arse lard’ i presume everyone is different but i just use it when on the road bike around the tops of my inner thigh where friction from pedaling is most likely to occur.
    maybe non users think you are supposed to digitally smear your sphincter with a massive dollup of white sticky mess?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Driller +1

but then I’ve never had piles. I’m a perfect arsehole.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ve been using Sudocreme since last summer and it seems to reduce soreness in the groin area.

bigG
    Free Member

I stopped using Sudocreme because I found it blocked the pores and caused spots because it’s too greasy. I now use udderly smooth and find it great

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I have wondered whether something like Diprobase might do a similar job. It’s not as thick as the chamois creams I’ve used in the past though.

Oggles
    Free Member

I used sudocrem once when I ran out of Assos stuff. Used a bit too much, ended up with a white patch showing through my shorts 😳 Never again!

daveb
    Free Member

The Assos stuff for me, tried the udder cream stuff and didnt like it as much although still did a decent job. I tried Sudocream a while back and didnt like the consistency or performance compared to Assos.
    Dont bother with any for shorter rides – 2 – 3 hours

molgrips
    Free Member

wine beer and cakes are different as there is a process involved other than simple mixing. Also the “ingredients” actually have a very complex chemical make up and are not the same if looked at in detail. Not all grapes are the same but all sodium lauryl sulphate is as it’s mass produced in a controlled chemical plan

The ‘ingredients’ list on a bottle doesnt’ tell the whole story. Soo tempting to think you know it all because you don’t know enough to realise that you don’t 🙂 But anyway, that’s OT 🙂

carbon337
    Free Member

can someone clear this up for me – is it applied to shorts or skin? Ive never known but been afraid to ask.

molgrips
    Free Member

Shorts. Well, either in fact, but you don’t want to have to wash your hands after it do you?

Oggles
    Free Member

Usually shorts. Sudocrem may be applied directly to the skin in the case of an itchy hoop. Don’t use minty arse lard for that though, in fact keep it well away from that area of your shorts padding.

brassneck

Benpanthen is a better emergency substitute to steal from the nursery, but it’s more expensive than the real minty thang. Better than sudocrem for nappy rash too.

Shorts or skin? To coin a phrase – splash it on all over.. enjoy the glow 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Morrisons 99p own brand moisturiser seems as good as arse lard IME.

Usualy put sudocrem in the bits that get sweaty (crack, sack, notcher) and arselard on the chammois. The sudocrem seems to stop sweat rash and smells as well.

whinosp
    Free Member

I’m with Oggles. Tried Sudocreme but ended up with the stuff finding its way to the outside of my shorts. Doesn’t look good on black lycra.

I used Udderly Smooth for a while, before reading on some dodgy forum that people were using products designed for other animals too. Now use some organic anti-friction product that can is sold for horses. About a tenner for gallons of the stuff. No ill effects on my bum, and my fetlocks are in fine form.

winterfold
    Free Member

I so wish you’d gone to the chemist to ask for some before posting here 😆

Fisty lube is a heavy duty alternative to minty arse lard if you are going for a long hard ride and a tightwad.

But… Assos minty arse lard is one of life’s most joyful guilty pleasures. £10 well spent.

jonb
    Free Member

it was typo rather than a mispronunciation.

TO be honest it’s no worse than what we used to use kayak surfing. For some reason salt water and latex made me look like I’d tried to hang myself after a few hours surfing, other people had similar problems. You can’t use vaseline as it attacks the seals. The best lubricants were water based (although you had to reapply). KY jelly was a popular choice.

smilenowtsbroken
    Free Member

Assos!
    I’ve just completed the C2C and the Assos stuff really helped … sorry if this paints pictures that you can’t shake off but, spread it on direct, or to the pad insert before you set off; then apply direct during the day if you start to get a bit sore (do it behind a bush though, as the red sock brigade get upset when they see you rummaging around in your shorts!).
    I don’t use it for 2-4 hours rides, but 6 – 10 hours in the saddle it helps.

allthepies
    Free Member

MrSmith has it.

Assos. Despite it being referred to as “arse cream” you don’t actually apply it to your arse. You apply it to the inner thigh where blisters/boils would otherwise form.

smilenowtsbroken
    Free Member

For me it’s best on the creases of the cheeks 😯

Kip

+1 for Bepanthen but again it’s silly expensive so may be better with proper stuff. Juice lubes have just started selling one called Chapeau that’s pretty good and it’s available in minty or non-minty for the laydeez.

winterfold
    Free Member

Speak for yourself allthepies

Back in the distant haze of time I met a young lady outside the Zap who’s opening line was ‘I’ve just put tiger balm up me fanny’ – oh to meet again with a tub of Assos Minty arse lard…

I’ll get me coat

Saccades
    Free Member

sodium lauryl sulphate is as it’s mass produced in a controlled chemical plant.

Of all the excipients listed to prove your point you pick the one with the least amount of qc control…. its composed of long chains, with a nominal distribution around 10, sds (dodecyl) is about 90% 10 length and thats as good as it gets.

thats before you get inti physical differences between creams, ointments etc etc.

jonnyv
    Free Member

Boots zinc and castor oil cream for me.very cheap.is it similar to chamois cream?

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Baby-Zinc-Castor-Oil-Cream-250ml_924158/

Kevevs
    Free Member

when I cook up a huge chilli, I find that red oily residue, after a few days, coagulates into a fantastic bum-paste. Try it.

langy
    Free Member

LMAO @ Kevevs…

MrSmith
    Free Member

are you all on the dole? why do people try to scrimp on something that’s cheap and works so well? you probably all have posh bikes too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Chamois cream – does sodocrem work?’ is closed to new replies.