Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Chameleon with sliding dropouts – can you run as single speed?
  • Daniel
    Free Member

as above 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

yes.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

yes, although official advice from Santa Cruz was to use v-brakes, since the disc mount position is not adjustable!

I used a half link chain (or a half link in a normal chain) to get the chain as close as possible to ideal length and it works fine.

I just use a shimano skewer done up really tight without chain tugs, as they do nothing to stop the wheel moving under the more powerful disc forces anyway.

Daniel
    Free Member

Cheers, this brake mount looks like it slides with the dropout to me…or am I mistaken?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Thats an old chameleon!

Looks like the disc mount is designed to stay in one fixed place to run the bike with gears. If you slid it backwards there probably woulnd't be enough left in contact with the frame to deal with the disc brake forces.

So you could run it singlespeed but you'd need a v-brake, or a tensioner.

Daniel
    Free Member

Thanks Horatio. I thought something didn't seem right. Wanted to check before I handed over my cash. Don't want to run V brakes or a tensioner, so I think I'll leave it. 🙁

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Chameleon with sliding dropouts – can you run as single speed?’ is closed to new replies.