Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Chameleon – frame vs. Build Kit
  • brassneck

I’m well out of touch with buying kit, but considering a swap to one of these – happy to build it, but looking at the build kits are they value? Could I do better for the 1100 ish saved? Going to build as 650b+ and get 29 wheels later.

frame only: £599 ish
    Initial Build kit link: At Evans

.. there is a pricier build to – is this better value? Other build…

TIA

antares
    Free Member

You could use your singletrack discount at Ubyk and get 10% off a frame for starters. I don’t think the builds are very good value. I bought a frame and with a mixture of 2nd hand parts and grabbing some new bargains I built this for about £1800

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t get the cheaper one, frame like that deserves a better fork than a Recon IMO.

I’d do a custom build personally, based round whatever decent boost fork I could get in the sales for £300-400.

Then wheels about £300, GX Eagle £300, Deore brakes £70, and dropper and other parts to your taste.

markshires
    Free Member

I looked into a while back, as I was thinking the same, i found you can spec it a lot better for the same kind of money as the full build.

@antares how is it by the way?

antares
    Free Member

@antares how is it by the way?

Absolutely love it. Miles better than the 650b version it replaced and it’s the comfiest hardtail I’ve ever ridden

brassneck

Good to know about the Recon – thats the sort of info I was after. Wheels appear to be the same on both, and I’ve no idea if they are OK or very portly.
    Won’t have much kit to move onto it as I’ll be selling the two other bikes complete I expect, but seatpost, saddle etc. add up.. I get 8% at Evans through work, but Ubyk are Oxford aren’t they? Almost local.
    Building does appeal a bit more, being able to jiggle a bit (like I’d probably go big on wheels but skip a dropper for now)

Gotama
    Free Member

I think Howard at Pedal and Spoke in Peaslake is doing a free hope headset with frames at the moment. Also, if you happen to be an XL I recall seeing a discounted frame on soho bikes website the other day although I suspect that may have gone.

Builds into a brilliant bike by the way, the radavist review is pretty much spot on imo.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I never understand why folks buy the bottom of the range santa cruz full build models, or how there is even a market that exists, especially for the full suss bikes.

Surely there can’t be that many people who are in the market for a frame as good as they are and then be happy with bottom of the range kit hanging off it. Granted the better builds are more expensive, but If you are splashing 4k on a bike I doubt you are that concerned about watching the pennies. (appreciate the op’s not looking at the likes of a nomad or bronson, but its still a nice frame and I wouldn’t want a recon hanging off it)

Frame all the way for me.. Look for bargains and you will get a far better spec for similar overall price.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

antares – Member
    You could use your singletrack discount at Ubyk and get 10% off a frame for starters.

What is this sorcery?

Sorry for the hijack

vincienup
    Free Member

I keep forgetting the Singletrack discount exists too!

On op’s Point, yep, the UK SC builds are poor value. There’s a reason, and it’s that the UK distributor gets bare framed from the US and isn’t also the distributor for SRAM or Shimano so has to pay whatever they want for build kit.

Everyone has read enough threads with shopowners saying they can buy more cheaply from CRC than the Shimano or SRAM distributors that it shouldn’t be a surprise the builds are expensive by comparison to either a bike dripping in legit OE kit or the prices we are used to from the webz…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

How does one acquire this singletrack discount?

antares
    Free Member

What is this sorcery?

STMUYK05 gets you 10% off all full price items

http://singletrackworld.com/premierclub/

vincienup
    Free Member

Its the positive aspect of having a ‘p’ apart from the extra pages…

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s a reason, and it’s that the UK distributor gets bare framed from the US and isn’t also the distributor for SRAM or Shimano so has to pay whatever they want for build kit.

You sure about that? The builds they offer here are exactly the same as in the US and other territories.

vincienup
    Free Member

It’s what I’ve been told although I may be wrong. It’s not hard to read a spec sheet while picking. It’s been a while since I last looked up US SC builds but while they were broadly the same they weren’t identical then.

Otoh, I know I was taking a look at a Salsa recently and the full build price in the US would just about get me a bare frame in the UK. Many things are possible, maybe there’s an element of stuff that looks reasonable in the US market looks worse here after the full build RRP has significantly increased in conversion and import?

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

It might be worth giving stif cycles a call they have been good deals on boost forks at Steve peats and recently in the yard sale, see if you can get the frame and a fork deal thrown in..

If you are going hope headset the mix n match is £25 an end on winstanley , a fair bit cheaper than rivals
    A rockshox yari fork 130mm is £349 on start fitness and been loads of 10% codes recently, could be an option

A Lovely looking bike I’m thinking this (or cotic soul or stif morf next) although after having my lefty powdercoated would it be sacrilege to get this bike done, and yes I guess void the warranty

Ps. @antares what weight would you say it is approximately please, I like a little cheeky sometimes and so farmers gates have put out my back in the past ..

TheGhost
    Free Member

The lower headset is IS52. I don’t think hope do that size. Just mentioning for clarity. I too have a Chameleon frame making it’s way to my garage.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@theghost I’m not sure tbh I’d seen pedal n spoke throwing in free Hope headsets on Instagram pics.
    I notice on hopes are a pdf link to this headset measurement
    http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/IS41-52-Headtube-Dimensions.pdf

Says a code HSCJ but a bottom J doesn’t show on the regular mix n match pdf
    http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/HOPE-HEADSET-FITTING-CHART.pdf

TheGhost
    Free Member

My bad just seen the J Cup spec. 🙂

antares
    Free Member

@antares what weight would you say it is approximately please

Not the lightest, comes in at just over 29lbs

My bad just seen the J Cup spec

Yeah it’s 7 and J on the Hope pick and mix

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@ Antares, are you definate with the mix n match numbers   7 and J

I’ve just received my d spec chameleon and its unbuilt so thought i’d put a hope headset in from the off, rather than the canecreek supplied..

now to buy brakes and a dropper, a matchmaker and shifter.

my ebay spanish dealer gamble paid off :0)

hamishthecat
    Free Member

For fork, I’d probably get one of these https://www.bike-components.de/en/Fox-Racing-Shox/34-Float-29-130-Grip-Rhythm-51-Boost-Suspension-Fork-2017-OEM-p61616/ which Guy Kesteven raves about in his You Tube Chameleon review…

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@hamishthecat, yep id agree I received mine saturday, very nice fork for £189 delivered.(incl 3 day international shipping)

brassneck

That fork is on order 🙂

Has anyone bought a frame from UBYK as my understanding was the magic ‘P’ doesn’t work on frames?

At present its whatyadoinsucka ‘s Spanish angle vs. 8% off at Evans on a D Plus build .. 10% off frame or full bike would swing it back (and Oxford is almost LBS for me :-))

With around 10% off list for a D build it doesn’t look such bad value. You could probably up spec a little for the same cost but factor in building and getting the headset fitted properly rather than home press and mallet and I don’t think its far out. Correct me if I’m wrong as I’d rather go Shimano for the drive train and brakes, even spend a little more and go XT.

letmetalktomark

Just plumped for an XL 29er frame from UBYK …… Arrives Wednesday ….. excited ….. Indeed 🙂

Now to wrestle with using my non boost Pike or gain with something else ….. hmm.

The Fox above looks cracking VFM

TheGhost
    Free Member

One bonus of a chameleon is that the headset is just two bearings that push into the frame, there are no cups. If you go for a hope the crown race also pushes on. Lol no tools required.

letmetalktomark

For those on here that bought the Rhythm fork ……. Did you consider the 34 for 286e with the lighter chassis and better (?) damper?

I have a non boost Pike RCT3 that kinda makes sense reusing but that would mean chopping a sizeable amount off of the steerer as its about 230mm long at present ……

the Rhythm looks a reasonable fork for the money.

help!

brassneck

I considered the Fox as it was uber cheap from the link here, and everyones’ raved about it. I was slightly concerned I’ll be overbuilding for my use, but should get reasonable resale if I want to go lighter as I’ve got it totally wrong.

If thats true bout the headset … probably will go frame only and build. Link to an exact model would be nice. Then its just wheels .. I’m thinking Hope 35w as a solid choice? Can’t afford to go carbon just yet.

letmetalktomark

@Brassneck … Ubyk accepted my STW discount on my frame earlier ….. £521 posted

alpineharry
    Free Member

If it helps, I too have a frame that uses headset parts 7 and J (hightower LT) and they just sit in the frame, no press required. As mentioned, the crown race is also just push fit, it has a slit in it to allow it to be pushed on.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Thanks alpine harry definately helps, considering doing myself if it’s straightforward

ordered the hope headset, copes with Pennines mud and grit better than a cane creek,

seem to be on preorder everywhere, damn just wanna setup and ride the chameleon now

but need headset to cut fork to fit and a matchmaker to fit a new shifter as the NX doesn’t fit to hope levers

grrrrr…..

struggling on hope brakes colour, is it only purple that matches the green

double grrrrrr….

TheGhost
    Free Member

I’m running a one up chain guide which fits boost cranks and tidys up the front mech mounting nicely.

Chain Guide – Low Direct Mount (S3/E-type)

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

yeah i was looking at the 2 screw holes, and thought damn span ish SC dealer not sending me a cover mount, a chainguide maybe usefull

brassneck

Thanks for the replies above, looks like frame it is – will grab a few other bits from them to sweeten the deal a little.

I did try the basket and it looked like it worked, but actual proof is perfect! And having railed against chain guides in the past, that is actually a neat way to tidy up the mech mount (still slightly surprised there is one)

Wheels then Hope?? 😀

brassneck

Forks have arrived in ‘none more black’. i feel a credit card blitz coming on.

theupsetter
    Free Member

do the fox forks 34 Float 29″ 130 Grip Rhythm 51 Boost… work with the 650b plus tyres ?

TheGhost
    Free Member

@brassneck

I have these wheels which I ordered from amazon. Boost, cheap, light and strong and tubeless compatible. Used them for two years. The cartridge bearings are easy to change and are a standard size.

https://www.ridewill.it/p/en/ridewill-bike-r27tw35-wheelset-mtb-275-sym-i35-boost-disc-8-11s-shimano-black/147120/

@theupsetter

I’m using 27.5+ with my fox 34 Rhythm 130mm form germany if that helps

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Don’t suppose you have a link to that Spanish ebay seller do you…

Ta

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@theupsetter, yeah those fox forks clearly state on bike discounts .de they fit upto 2.5 on 29 and upto 3.0″ on a 27.5+

but they state measure 6mm spare on full compression of the fork.

@dangeourbrain
    , stick that in the search box on ebay     seller:Ltmracing17

ps. when you purchase and he asks you for passport / ID tell him no chance :0),

i really did think it was an elaborate con on me and the madrid SC dealer..

i was ready for a cc chargeback

ps. he’s definately got an XL as no one bid on that last monday.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Ta

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Chameleon – frame vs. Build Kit’ is closed to new replies.