Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Challenging Trails near the North East?
  • simon80
    Free Member

Hi,
    I have recently got back from riding the Gondola red route at Fort William.
    The trail was at that great level where it was challenging but fun – really enjoyable riding.
    I want to go back sometime to improve my times but it is a fair distance from Durham . . ,
    So could anyone recommend a trail of roughly the same difficulty within 2/3 hours drive of Durham?
    How do the descend hamsterley tracks compare? I know that they are more mud/roots than rock.
    Any suggestions gratefully received.
    Thanks,
    Si

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lakes

Drac

Speak to Team-CHR they’ll help you out, think there’s few from Durham now.

simon80
    Free Member

Any particular route?

br
    Free Member

Tweed Valley, not GT or Inners trail centres but the off-piste stuff and DH runs at Inners, Golfie etc

mdavids
    Free Member

I went through a brief spell of downhill riding and spent a bit of time at Hamsterley and had a few trips to Fort Bill before deciding I wasn’t gnarly or rad enough.
    Obviously Hamsterley doesn’t have the height or length but if anything I found some of the runs a lot more challenging in places than even the Fort Bill WC downhill.
    As for the red gondola route, Hamsterly has bigger drop-offs, bigger jumps and is steeper and more challenging – its just over a lot quicker.
    I’d recommend something with a decent amount of travel if you want to enjoy it, an XC bike will feel way out of its depth.

simon80
    Free Member

My only bike is a Five with 160mm 36s on it. It should cope with most trails. I will never be a Downhill demon but I am enjoying pushing my descending at the moment . I guess Hamsterley will challenge me, maybe too much by the sounds of it.
    Team CHR may be a good call, I will contact them and see if anyone local rides with them.
    The Lakes are always good. I rode the Nan Bield loop in Feb but it turned into a suffer feast because of the weather. if anyone wants to recommend a good descent over that way I am extremely interested.

fergal
    Free Member

Ullock pike is challenging and probably one of the best continuous descents in the UK, close on 900m of vertical drop.

GEDA
    Free Member

Descent Hamsterly or Thrunton or NDH stuff. The race tracks at Kidland are very steep.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In the lakes
    Dollywaggon Pike down to the Valley
    Nan Bield
    Ullswater Lake shore & surrounding area
    Round Grizedale avoiding the main trail and hitting the bridleways

I’m guessing 3 hrs would put you in the Dales fairly easily too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Challenging Trails near the North East?’ is closed to new replies.