• This topic has 123 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)
  • Challenging a warranty claim. – Specialzied –
  • bennyb
    Free Member

Just a quick run down, own a spec enduro expert (carbon frame) it’s 8 months old. Brought from an official Specialized concept store. Long story short, there’s a crack in the carbon right under the crankset, been sent off to HQ, and warranty guys have said its impact damage and no claim. My argument is A, I haven’t crashed /impacted anything sufficient enough that it even stopped/registered on my ride. Surely to god there top of the range enduro ‘all mountain’ bike should be able to withstand knocks and rocks hitting the frame??!!!?? Anyway, tried contacting the main store/HQ in Surrey, to no avail as the person I need is always ‘on another line’, emailed there rider care manager, no reply or acknowledgement. Now, I’d like to take this further, anyone ever done such a thing, if so , any advice?? I’m thinking along the lines of ‘product not fit for purpose’ off citazens advice website

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Have a polite enquiry on their fudbook or twitter page. It’s amazing how their attitude changes when it’s a bit more public.

sandwicheater

Any photos of the damages area that you would be willing to share?

akira

Best advice I can give is don’t go in all guns blazing, go back to the shop and explain you’re not happy and why. Warranty is a tricky one because it’s not a manufacturing defect it’s an external force that has damaged the frame, I’d imagine it’s in that grey area of discretion that exists between a definite warranty claim and definitely not a warranty claim.

daver27
    Free Member

Normally with impact damage they offer a crash replacement. depends where the crack is and if it could have been caused by an impact. if its directly on the bottom of the BB then that is unlikely as impacts there would be from the front 45 deg.

dmorts

If in the end you draw a blank with Specialized then you might be able to claim on the accidental damage cover of your home insurance (if you have it, and yes I’ve seen that people have done this after crashes)

bennyb
    Free Member

I’d love to share the pictures, but I don’t know how to put them up on here from an iPhone. And I’ve been back to store, been polite about it all. But basically there just giving it me back and saying thanks but no!! But surely a bike must be suitable to a certain degree of ‘use’ before it breaks???!! I will be posting on Specialized FBook page, maybe a bit of public exposure will get at least a response !

scotroutes

IME, Specialized are pretty good about warranty stuff.

Did they even offer anything on their crash replacement policy?

daver27
    Free Member

be careful, they might sue you for having a forum name that is similar to one of their pedals…

😆

bennyb
    Free Member

Offered a crash replacement at £1400. A- I’m still paying off the 8month old bike which has cracked! And B- why would I knowingly buy another frame at that price which bascially can’t withstand anything rougher than a trail centre .

amedias
    Free Member

Go back and politely challenge it with the shop if you are unhappy, if they say it’s impact damage and you genuinely* recall no impact of any noticeable** magnitude then, and it broke then it is neither:

– of satisfactory quality and
    – fit for purpose

And the onus is on them to prove that it was. If it cannot survive normal use*** then it’s hard to prove it fits the above. No need to go in all guns blazing, but an honest but firm discussion to start with.

Remember that your relationship is with the retailer, not the manufacturer, although complicated in this case if bought from a concept store, although they ARE different entities.

Having said all that I predict problems if they think it was impact damage****, are there any visible signs of impact to the paint/finish or is it ‘just’ a crack?

^ they will be the argument points, be prepared for them.

**** – Ask them to explain and define what kind of impact they would have expected to cause such damage.

– If they answer with something well in excess of what it has experienced then explain that hasn’t happened, you disagree with their assessment and want more proof.

– If they answer with something very trivial then it lends support to you fit-for-purpose/normal use argument for replacement under wartanty or at least goodwill gesture.

tomhoward

Put them on a photo sharing website, then link to that.

+1 for Spesh normally being great on warranty issues.

You may just have been unlucky with a sharp rock flicking up from the front wheel, wouldn’t necessarily register, but still does the damage.

Onus is not on the retailer to prove it wasn’t defective after 8 months. It’s now up to the op to prove it was defective

Tracey

Both the S Works carbon frames, Enduro and Stumpjumper, that we damaged/crashed were well beyond repair. Both were replaced under their crash assist scheme which worked out a lot cheaper than buying a new frame but still left a big hole in the bank balance. I spoke to them direct, Specialized UK, as I was unsure as to keep on riding, and then sorted it when we got back from our Alps holiday with the local store. They did want the old frames back.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

AFAIK spesh concept stores are IBD’s and not wholly owned by Specialized.
    That being the case you need to moan at the shop and get them on the case with Specialized customer service. Your contract is with the shop – it’s only 8 months old so you’re not claiming on a manufacturers extended warranty over and above what is legally required.

That being said, there is always the chance that it is impact damage although as said above, I’m surprised in that case that Specialized haven’t tried to meet you half way with some kind of crash replacement scheme.

bennyb
    Free Member

That’s kinda the angle I’m going for, as I haven’t crashed it, it must of been impact damage, but it should be able to withstand been ridden on or across or down mountainous terrain. If not, it’s not fit for purpose and unsuitable for intended / advertised use.

legend
    Free Member

Surely to god there top of the range enduro ‘all mountain’ bike should be able to withstand knocks and rocks hitting the frame??!!!?

How big and how fast a hit should it be able to take? Sounds like you’ve just been unlucky tbh, especially as you say there is impact damage and BB areas tend to be some of the strongest parts of a bike!

scotroutes

They have.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

I’d probably hold off on the “not fit for purpose” all guns blazing approach :wink

If they’re any kind of decent shop it will be better to work with them than against them.

amedias
    Free Member

especially as you say there is impact damage

where does the OP say that?

he says there is a crack and that Spesh say it’s a result of impact.

pics would help 🙂

bigjim

I’d probably go nuclear on $pecialized’s facebook to be honest, they’re a massive company who can afford to go around suing smaller companies over names and all sorts, so they can afford to replace what was a very expensive frame to you that would appear to have genuinely failed.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Personaly if you go in gently not guns blazing it can benift the conversation & move things along.

If all else fails & it sounds like it has it might be worth contacting Spesh USA & give them some speil your a long term spesh customer & want to remain loyal to the brand as your kids ride spesh & future bikes blah blah failing that mention that it wouldn’t go down well if it were made very public, i.e all mtb forums etc about the poor warranty & how it might reflect on the brand.

dmorts

And the onus is on them to prove that it was.

After 6 months the onus shifts to the buyer Consumer Rights Act 2015. We’re at 8 months with this, no? But the critical thing is when the fault was found/reported.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

They have.

Thats what I get for taking so long to finish my post!

legend
    Free Member

Amedias, true. Thought he’d said something. Basically it’s “he said” versus “experts with a very good reputation for warranty claims said”. I’m siding with the latter for now

Legend – #teamspecialized

chakaping
    Free Member

They’re still making a decent wedge out of that £1.4k “crash replacement” frame though, eh?

bennyb
    Free Member

Pictures are up on Specialized uk Facebook under visitors post. Have a gander

chakaping
    Free Member

We’re gonna need a close-up!

bennyb
    Free Member

Check the Facebook, quiet a closeup there

legend
    Free Member

edit: is it the one that looks like something has tanked off the left hand side of the BB area? Needs a close up

FuzzyWuzzy

Good luck, I don’t think anyone would be happy with a warranty rejecting when you’re sure you haven’t had a crash/major impact that would have caused it. Pics would definitely help us to see if it’s likely impact damage or not. How big is the crack?

jimdubleyou

core

Speak to Swarf cycles, they can probably repair it!

woody2000

That’s had a whack by the looks of it!

bit.ly/21aEk2H

bennyb
    Free Member

Be in mind, on the ride this happened I was riding solo, so not even giving it beans!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s been hit.

fathomer

Unless they’ve taken paint off to inspect, that looks like it’s taken a pretty decent wallop!

legend
    Free Member

bennyb – Member
    Be in mind, on the ride this happened I was riding solo, so not even giving it beans!!

Please stop this, it means nothing.

scotroutes

If it’s that large black mark forward of the cranks then it looks (to me, from that photo) like some sort of crash damage

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Please stop this, it means nothing.

Just riding along when…..

legend
    Free Member

Just seen the close up – that’s been fully twatted off something!

Edit: you’re FB post makes you sound like an absolute dick

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Challenging a warranty claim. – Specialzied –’ is closed to new replies.