Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Chairlifts – the stannah variety
  • D0NK

A bit random I know but I thought I'd give it a try on here.
    We've inherited a house with a chairlift, not sure what to do with it. The council installed it but they are not interested. We could just strip it out and take it down the tip but it's fairly new and in good nick so would prefer not to scrap it. Anyone know of a company/charity that would be interested in collecting?
    (Bolton area if that makes a difference)

Pete
    Free Member

Ebay? or ring the chairlift company, they might buy it back..

wwaswas

"The council installed it but they are not interested"

grrr.

there's probably dozens of houses in the area with identical stair cases that will need on installed sooner or later and the council will just go out and buy new again.

D0NK

Yeah its annoying wwaswas, all our money the council is wasting.

Ebay? or ring the chairlift company, they might buy it back.

Don't really want money for it, it would certainly be free to anyone who came and uninstalled it. Might contact the manufacturers/importers.

cp

call the manufacturer anyway, they may want it back to refurb it and stick it somewhere else and/or use the spares. Doesn't take too long to take them out (assuming no ones done building work over the mounting points etc…!).

(have a mate who installs them (not stannah))

akira

Keep it and pimp it up, bit faster, leather finish and a holder for a pint glass.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Having gone through this recently it's really difficult to pass stair lifts on so that they can be used again.

The manufacturer would only take it back for refurbishment if it was installed by them, which it was, so in they end they removed it at no cost and took it back for refurbishment and resale.

Basically the second hand value of these lifts is next to zero, so as long as you are prepared to give it away I would try the manufacturer first.

D0NK

Ah just spoke to my dad, it is a stannah and stannah want £150 to take it away. Haha, not likely. Just noticed the google ads over there—-> might try some of them, see if they want it. Def don't want paying for it and would maybe pay a bit for someone to take it away but not £150

GrahamS

Can you keep it, but extend the tracks into the various rooms of the house?

Mmmmm.. doze off in front of the telly, wake up in bed 😀

project
    Free Member

My dad used to have one,and then he was thinking of going into a new bungalow, so i sauid to him well just put iton the floor from the living room to the kitchen,and whenyo get to the door, we will fit a half stable door so all you do is open the bottom door.

He wasnt convinced.

wwaswas

anyone remember the Mint Sauce 'Stannah Shore Lift'? Inspired by a post on this very site I think.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

have an uplift day in your house.

Colin-T

A mate of mine used to (and probably still does) run a stair-lift company and I helped him out a few times. He'd uninstall and remove unwanted stairlifts. Mostly the track would be junk but the motors and electrics could be refurbished or used for spares. I don't know if he charged to take them away or bought them from the owner.

Get the yellow pages out and phone a couple of the local firms, one is sure to do a similar thing.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Donk,

Is that the refurbishment side of Stannah that you have spoken to ?
    I seem to remember they are a seperate division when we dealt with them.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Donk

I'm in the same boat as you, Mum and Dad had one fitted last year and today we said Good Bye to Mum after loosing Dad last month,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25655510@N02/4109313179/in/pool-onephotoeveryday

And no one will touch their 12 month old hardly used £8,000 chair lift as it goes around two corners so will only fit houses of the same design.

We can't even give it away, so no one would touch it on ebay.

Looks like a trip to the tip for us as well.

Unless someone on here in the north midlands wants it.

Drac

Keep it, handy for when you pissed.

allthepies
    Free Member

Must be a tough time for you John, losing both parents so close together.

Drac

ooh John's post appeared whilst I was away, errr sorry wasn't meant to drown your post. My sympathies.

theotherjonv

sympathies JohnClimber

Flaperon

You're not listing it properly on eBay. Try flogging it as a private monorail system.

trapliftengids
    Free Member

In case of buying a stairtlift or traplift i tried to fix an easy guide on my website traplift where i explain the basic do’s and dont’s which you should take care of in case of buying a stairlift or traplift. I also have added a section in which you can find various pfd format brochures about stairlifts and trapliften which you can find here trapliften-handleiding There are also some movies available that demonstrate the use of a stairlift.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection Batman !

Liftman

Spammer 👿

totalshell

theres a company in Keighley that buys and renovates stairlifts we just bought one from them for the FiL its almost brand new and was a quarter of the price of a new one..

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Chairlifts – the stannah variety’ is closed to new replies.