Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Chainsuck – what are hooked teeth and/or burrs?
  • Christowkid
    Free Member

Hi All,
    I get the occasional chainsuck on my Soul, running an XT hollowtech II chainset on it. The drive chain has done about ~ 400miles and I tend to be light on my kit. I always clean my bike after each trip and re-lube with Finishline Wet lube.
    The suck came when going from granny up to middle ring and the chain was getting pulled up around the bottom of the ring into the chainstay from below.
    Yesterday I went on a road trip round the lanes with friends and got it a few times. Today I went to clean the bike and realised it was actually clean! The chain's fine so not gunked up with grit and mud. There is a layer of black gunk on the middle ring but that's it, so I'm not inclined to think that mud/grit is the answer.
    I'm now wondering if i've got teeth problem, a hooked tooth or one with a burr on. I've now got a plastic shimano pre-load tool and plan to take off the chainset and check out the teeth.

So I presume…. a hooked tooth a 'shark's fin with a curve on the top', looking sideways on?
    and a burr would be on the edge of the tooth looking down at the chainset from above?

If I find either can they be gently removed with a file or is it new chainring time?
    ….any other ideas?
    thanks for any advice
    cheers
    Q

peachos
    Free Member

hooks or burrs will be causing your chainsuck yes. you might be able to get away with flipping your granny over (err….) depending on how much your chain is worn but if you've got this far without replacing the chain might be new drivechain time.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Chainsuck – what are hooked teeth and/or burrs?’ is closed to new replies.