Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chainsuck – BFe. Simple fixes to try?
  • Garry_Lager

I’ve never had a bike with a chainsuck problem, so knew very little about it. This has now changed – I’ve recently bought a BFe, and now know plenty about it. I’m using a triple and it’s reliably sucking the chain in the granny. What I don’t know is how to fix it.

What are the first things to look at to sort this out? The drivetrain is pretty new – rings, chain, jockey wheels have very few miles on them. The derailleur is old, though.

Can changing the chainline help? I was thinking of maybe taking the spacer off the bb, but that would move the rings closer to the stay.

Or if anyone is running a Bfe with a triple could you post up your drivetrain components so I know what works? Thanks.

ahwiles
    Free Member

you have a triple chainset? – so you’ll have a long chain, which means less tension in the gears you’ll be in most of the time.

and the rear mech is old? – so the springs may be a little tired = even less tension.

low chain tension can allow chainsuck to raise it’s ugly head…

be honest, how often do you spin out your 44/11 gear? – i’m guessing it’s not often. You could get rid of the largest chainring, and run a tighter chain = less chainsuck.

is the chain still very new? – i find a new chain can be a bit sticky.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

shorten chain by a few links, see if that helps

inspect chainrings for warping, burrs, bent teeth

Speshpaul

Check the jocky wheels are running free, that won’t help.

nordofjura
    Free Member

i’m using a 2010 slx triple crankset, xt cassette & chain, slx front and x-9 rear mech on my bfe. everything has been used for almost a year now, not once had a chainsuck. appart from that, i can’t help you, sorry.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Single ring & LG1 on mine. Funnily enough – no chainsuck.

Being more helpful – you might find that taking the spacer out and sticking it on the other side of the BB makes the gap too small for the chain to jam into. Alternatively, you might find it jams even tighter.

Really though, triple ring on a BFe…? 😉

robgarrioch

There’s a good “breakdown” ( 😉 ) in this thread from a while back. This one here, in fact.
    Most unpleasant occurrence innit?

Garry_Lager

Thanks all – v helpful.

toys19
    Free Member

make sure your chainline is good. I have a bfe and the clearance between the cogs and the chainstay is good, but on my 456 it was terrible..

crispedwheel
    Free Member

go 1×9

Wookster

HI mate bfe large frame full slx grouppo except the pg990 cassette. Triple no issues sorry mate.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chainsuck – BFe. Simple fixes to try?’ is closed to new replies.