Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Chainsuck?
  • Cougar

Riding home yesterday, giving it beans in the third ring. Dropped down to the middle ring to start climbing and the drivetrain locked solid. Stopped to check, and the chain’s come up round the ring from the return path, all the way up into the front derailleur, and wedged itself tight on the outside of the mech.

My question is, is this chainsuck? Moreover, is there anything other than a worn chain that could cause this? Could it just be bad luck and a one-off, is it maybe a lack of lube or a damaged link, or a problem with the mech or something, or do I need to be looking at getting a new chain as a matter of urgency? Anything specific I should be checking?

Chain is a KMC X9SL (I believe) and done about 200 miles. I’ll be somewhat surprised and disappointed if it needs replacing already, it looks almost new and I’ve not had any problems with it previously.

Cheers in advance.

scaredypants

most likely need new rings, not chain

j_me
    Free Member

I think chainsuck occurs on an upshift. Not sure what could be causing your prob as a downshift should just be dropping it onto the smaller ring. Have a good look at all your teeth on the big ring. Check all the links on the chain are moving ok.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Keva
    Free Member

definitely chain suck, happens on my Giant XTC sometimes. I don’t know what the exact cause of it is really, possibly bad driving. Standing on the pedals before the chain is properly in place is a likely candidate.

Kev

Cougar

Interesting reading, thanks.

I’ll be shocked if the big ring is worn; in fact, I’ll go as far as to say it’s impossible for it to be worn, I use it relatively rarely. Strike-damaged is feasible though; I don’t remember grounding the cog recently at all, but I couldn’t say hand on heart that it’s never happened. I’ll take a good look at it, ta.

Thinking about it, I have had it fling off the granny ring once too. I wrote that off as an isolated incident and one of those things, but I wonder now if the front mech needs attention.

Hmm.

Cougar

possibly bad driving.

Oh, I don’t doubt that for a moment. (-:

Standing on the pedals before the chain is properly in place is a likely candidate.

I’m fairly sure that this wasn’t the case as I’m usually pretty OCD about not changing gears under load. That said, I’d just come down the previous downhill like my head was on fire, so I couldn’t 100% rule out that I wasn’t being a little enthusiastic…

scaredypants

cougar, you said it happened on shifting to middle – so not big ring anyway

shifting down at the front is what 1st unmasks chainsuck IME

Cougar

Ah, so sucking big > middle would indicate a problem with the -middle- ring?

Male hens.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Chain getting gritty and shitty is what brings it on for me, chain just stays curved and clings onto the ring. Worse on granny, I guess ‘cos the chain is more curved… and of course the mech is all shitted up as well so probably not pulling the chain as hard to straighten it…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Chainsuck?’ is closed to new replies.