• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Chainstay Protector with rear mech cables?
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

Looking for a work around for what maybe a purchase at the weekend! The Marin nail Trail has the cable running along the bottom of the chain stay.

I’m guessing a chain stay over the cable will not be ideal, so thinking electrical tape or cutting holes in a protector?

As the cable is at the bottom, has anyone seen achain stay that does not have a bottom part? If that makes any sense haha!!

What is everyones work around?

mjsmke

Cut up an old innertube and wrap it round like a tape. Then electrical tape or a cable tie at the end to keep it in place.

Specialized use to make specific ones with holes for cable. So Marin may even do one.

scotroutes

Wrap it with an old inner tube (bar tape style) and finish off with a couple of zip ties on the loose end.

Northwind

Mastic tape (basically a sticky innertube) could be ideal for this, you can easily put it where you want and avoid where you don’t. It’s a bit more expensive than other options but worth it I think.

But, I used to use a lizardskins one on bikes that had exposed cables, it was fine, I just had it wrapped round the chainstay and the cable running over the top.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Thank people – will have a look at the above!

hot_fiat

On my last bike I had some pace carbon adhesive sheet stuck to the inner side of the chainstay. I deliberately cut it a bit large and didn’t wrap the excess under the stay so it hung down about 5mm. The chain would then bash against that, tear the odd bit out of it but never came in contact with the stay itself.

On the new bike, orange have stuck some coloured mastic tape to the inside of the stay just like NW suggest so I haven’t needed to do anything.

JAG

Erm…. Slapper Tape 😆

Google it – I dare ya 😈

joemmo
    Free Member

if it was an exposed inner cable then it would be problem but if its a full outer cable (as it appears to be) then there’s no reason at all why you can’t put a neoprene type protector over the top.

Splash-man
    Free Member

I just use a neoprene stretchy one on mine bike with a hole snipped out where one of the guides is located.

JoeG
    Free Member

Also, the Lizard Skins type neoprene and velcro chain protectors can be run between the cable and chainstay. You can cut with them with a knife or scissors to shorten them. And you can also cut a hole for a cable stop or whatever. Just run a slot from the hole to the edge where the velcro is so that you can slip it on.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Chainstay Protector with rear mech cables?’ is closed to new replies.