Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Chainsets XT or SLX?
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

You guys…

nickc

XT looks nicer, ergo it is 'better'. SLX is ugly: see rule 1

rule 1.
    no ugly things on the bike…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

😆 😆 😆

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

xt all the way – slx looks cheap and tacky!

mangatank
    Free Member

I run SLX on the full susser and XT on the hardtail. SLX is excellent and very dependable (good brakes especially), but jump from the suss to the HT and the difference is like night and day in all respects.

Buy XT if you can afford it.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

After a wobbly start, XT is making a break for the finish on the final furlong… SLX is falling behind and looks tired…

Northwind

mangatank – Member

"I run SLX on the full susser and XT on the hardtail. SLX is excellent and very dependable (good brakes especially), but jump from the suss to the HT and the difference is like night and day in all respects."

What's the night and day difference between SLX and XT cranks then? I'm intrigued, since like I say I can't feel any difference between SLX and XTR never mind XT.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Hopefully he was joking? I have old LX, old XT, slx and new XT cranks on different bikes, I certainly can't detect any difference between any of them.

mangatank
    Free Member

Really? Honestly? You can't tell the difference between an XT specced bike and an SLX one? Really?

Interesting…

Eggbox
    Free Member

"night and day" is a bit extreme…maybe night and late afternoon or dusk.

Is the XT better then the SLX ? ..It's dearer so it must be eh?

rudedog
    Free Member

Really? Honestly? You can't tell the difference between an XT specced bike and an SLX one? Really?

Interesting…

he was specifically asking you if there was a difference in the feel of the cranks though.

mangatank
    Free Member

🙄

Y'know, you're right? You've convinced me. I don't know what I was thinking. SLX is the one to go for.

rudedog
    Free Member

Y'know, you're right? You've convinced me. I don't know what I was thinking. SLX is the one to go for.

Oh dear, I really wasn't trying to convince you of anything, just pointing out that you seemed to have misunderstood that people were talking specifically about cranks.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Slowjo: excellent points but most folk don't wanna hear that – they wanna know how much better a rider they'll be if they spend more money.

My LBS guy (who's an ex pro MTB racer) reckons that Deore Cranksets are the best coz they're the only ones that "never bend".

Personally I'll stick on whatever's best value – and at £55 with BB Deore is hard to beat. Besides, it doesn't matter how nice and shiny parts look because after a few decent rides they'll look like sh*t anyway.

mangatank
    Free Member

Ahem…

Actually I was talking about the system as a whole rather than just crank arms obviously 😳

But even then, even then…yeah. SLX or Deore.

*heads to cloak room*

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Chainsets XT or SLX?’ is closed to new replies.