Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Chainset RF Deus or XT?
  • Pieface

I’m looking for a new chainset. RF Deus is going cheap in a few places. I like the Deus because of the way the bolting on doesn’t rely on delicate adjustment of bearings which goes against my mechanical inclinations.

I am aware that the RF BB’s are pants unless they’ve changed things recently, but are there any reasons I should consider the XT over the Deus, or any other chainset at the £170 mark?

frogstomp

I was looking at changing my Truvativ crank a couple of weeks ago and went with Deus..

From reading around the BB does seem to be its weak leak, but this may be improved by the more recent X-type versions (Deus comes with the Team). At any rate it didn’t put me off – as long as the bearings were more easily replaceable than on the Truvativ!

On the plus side the Deus is very light and supposedly very stiff and the rings are renowned for their longevity.

On the other hand the XT are a bit cheaper (can be got for ~£120 from German sites) and many seem to prefer the shifting performance.

In the end I went for the double from CRC @ £120..

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve used both extensively and would agree with the above.

BB died quickly (a few years ago, but crank is still going strong with two of the original rings.

Deus is a bit of a bugger to fit, compared to XT – but once on it never budged and I thought it was a tad stiffer too.

I’ve gone with Shimano on all my bikes now though because I tend to take them on and off a lot.

Selling my Deus (VGC), email in profile if interested.

Pieface

Chapaking – YGM

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve both (older versions).

XT is noticably stiffer

Deus is almost like riding a 2.5 tyre Vs a 2.0, there’s a lot of give in those arms! It’s not noticable in use, but back to back you notice it.

XT looks crap after the first muddy ride.

Deus looks nicer and doesnt scuff/age, mine are 1000’s of miles old and could still pass as new. And the design hasn’t aged either, shimano’s looks dated almost as soon as its released.

XT is easier to fit, no ‘extra’ parts, but requires an easily lost tool

Deus fits with allen keys, but requires a handfull of plastic/metal/rubber spacers that you have to get in the right number in the right places, mine took more than was suplied in the box so needed a few more 99p plastic washers. If you’ve ever fitted a BMX chainset it’ll be a familiar trial and error process.

trailertrash

XT is noticably stiffer

Deus is almost like riding a 2.5 tyre Vs a 2.0, there’s a lot of give in those arms! It’s not noticable in use, but back to back you notice it.

You’re joking!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nope, the deus are definatley made from spagetti, the XT’s would be that tubey pasta stuff I guess by analogy.

Even running burgtechs on the XT’s and SPD’s on the Deus the XT’s feel stiffer despite the extra leverage. It’s not a bad thing nececeraly, just different.

backhander
    Free Member

I’ve had the recent style XT and the recent deus.
    I use a hope BB so cannot comment there but the deus felt nicer IMO. Certainly no less stiff. Not a lot in it so go with whichever you prefer. I would choose the deus personally.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Chainset RF Deus or XT?’ is closed to new replies.