Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Chainset attacked me – Don't open if squeamish
  • camerone
    Free Member

So – very pathetic tumble from bike, slow speed etc but got tangled in the bike as I fell. Seems I caught my leg on the outer chainring….
    Overnight in hospital, general anaesthetic to fully clean it out, stitched back up… this was four weeks ago stitches now out and back on the bike.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Wow, done properly! What was the mechanism of the fall?!? You must have put some serious weight through that onto the ring to do that much damage?

scaredypants

yeuuk ! 😯

weeksy

bloody good work that man !!!

pingu66
    Free Member

Shaving cut?

😯

wwaswas

my feet did a little ‘run away’ thing under the table there.

shorts this summer then 🙂

stevomcd
    Free Member

Seen this a couple of times before and always swap the outer for a bashring now!

camerone
    Free Member

coffee – trundling along at I guess 7-8 mpg, looked over shoulder to see where mate was, hit something tiny and remaining hand on the bars slipped forwards. So i sort of fell on the bars, wobbled abit, then fell sideways. It was one of those where my mate came along sniggering wondering why I was on the floor. no hero points at all just in-attention

bencooper
    Free Member

Good work! I got a similar (though smaller) injury when I was a kid, by trying to take off a jumper while riding no-hands…

DezB
    Free Member

Wow, that’s a proper sharkbite! 😯

1st pic would be more effective if the right way up…

Jerome
    Free Member

Unlucky bud.
    I opened up my shin a few years back on my pedal I think in a similar speed crash.
    Cannot hold a candle top that though.
    Singlespeed would surely have helped..

kayak23

Awesome! 😯

donsimon
    Free Member

You’ve just given me an idea for a tattoo.

Oh yeah! Nearly forgot… I’m sure it’ll buff out…

footflaps

I’ve seen worse, there was someone on here who posted a photo of a similar accident in the Alps, only it looked like a shark bite!

Jamie
    Free Member

1st pic would be more effective if the right way up…

donsimon
    Free Member

😯
    EEeeuuwwww! That’s disgusting!!

Sui
    Free Member

Painful i’m sure and a bastard to heal properly. There was a chap a few years ago at one of the Aston Hill DH events that slid off in the wet near the top sections. For those that ride there you’ll know it’s chalky but also full of flints. The chap upon sliding off, caught the tip of a flint and opened up the side of his leg from ankle to top of his thigh!! twas impressive..

DezB
    Free Member

Nice one Jamie 😀
    Somehow it’s much more BLUERGH! like that

kevj
    Free Member

Very nice! Has the makings of a very unique tattoo……

deus

i feel a little faint.
    dunno why but bleeding copiously doesn’t affect me any where near as bad as seeing the results of other peoples accidents.

allthegear
    Free Member

Ouch!

Hope it heals fast!!

Rachel

Trimix
    Free Member

Good excuse to go double and bash now 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

That’ll polish out.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

*rushes off to buy bash ring…*

richmtb

😯 Holy F*** 😯

Best advertisment for a bash guard I have ever seen

Hope it heals okay

camerone
    Free Member

Sui – funnily enough not too painful – missed and structural bits so just a flesh wound! bit ‘tight’ feeling now but they had to trim the edges to neaten it up and sew it up…. four weeks on and its healing nicely – no infection, on bike as usual..
    apparently 10-15mm in the wrong direction and it would have done for my achilles….

Onzadog
    Free Member

Would you have been better off if the chin was on the big ring at the time?

Any surgeons in the house who can comment on the stitching? Doesn’t look great to my untrained eye but then it’s a material (human flesh) I’ve never had to work with.

Another benefit of belt drive. 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Of course! No spikey bits then!

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah! Split your face open instead 😉

DT78
    Free Member

Yep got one of those 🙂 22 stiches on my right calf.

Remember looking down to see this thinnish red line suddenly open up and show all this bubbly yellowy fat. Surprised how little it actually bleed, though I had a shoe filled with blood.

Had to get back on the bike and cycle out of the woods to get picked up and then wheeled off to the local drop in centre.

Only local for me (2 rounds of it). Took quite a while to heal properly I reckon it was nearly 3 months before it was sealed enough to swim

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just think, you could have died horribly if you hadn’t been wearing a helmet.

Mate of mine did similar ish to his arm at mountain mayhem one year trying to take pedals off a bike. 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

Think I might start carrying a roll of gaffa tape with me…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Jamie why would you want to gaffer it up? He wasnt bleeding to death was he?!?

Besides I wouldnt fancy getting to A&E and the nurse saying, ‘right I’ll just rip this gaffer tape off then shall I’

I think that would hurt lots. Its already infected so a little more fresh air wont harm

brakes
    Free Member

my 1×9 drivetrains are looking like an even better option now!
    what chainrings were you using? were they well worn or did they have that sharkfin profile of well used ones?

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie why would you want to gaffer it up? He wasnt bleeding to death was he?!?

Besides I wouldnt fancy getting to A&E and the nurse saying, ‘right I’ll just rip this gaffer tape off then shall I’

I think that would hurt lots. Its already infected so a little more fresh air wont harm

I’ll level with you. I wasn’t being 100% serious.

Drac

Good effort.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    Think I might start carrying a roll of gaffa tape with me…

A mate of mine came off at afan a few years ago – opened his knee right up. As we were all in the middle of the trail, wondering what the **** to do, one of our mates pulled out a roll of gaffer tape from his bag. We wrapped that around his knee, clipped his other foot in and sent him off down the final descent.

Then we made him drive himself to Port Talbot hospital, while we sat in Glyncorwg cafe eating scrambled egg sarnies.

willard

Quality injury! None of this minor injury stuff.

I do genuinely hope that you took the stitches out yourself though. With a Leatherman. It’s what a real man would do.

pingu66
    Free Member

Id gaffer tape that!

Get a dressing on it, bandage then gaffer tape to keep it dry and make sure it bloody stayed together till hospital. Make sure the tape isnt on the skin just holding a bandage round the leg.

Good job no infection. Be great scar though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Chainset attacked me – Don't open if squeamish’ is closed to new replies.