Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Chainsawtreefellingtrackworld – neighbour has asked me to chop some stuff…
  • AlexSimon

(t)rusty band saw

Ha! Good luck manoeuvring one of those up there!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Easy peasy, get a rope fixed up somewhere near the top, cut most of the way through the bottom (perhaps all the way if they are tightly interlinked) and then pull like **** on the rope. One at a time. What could possibly go wrong?

(make sure the rope is long enough though or you’ll get a face full of tree!)

If you were local to me I’d do it for free, for the wood.

Rich_s

Well, that’s what I reckoned. Maybe I can get the guy with the Merc to tie the rope to the back of his car and pull with that?

Band saw/Bow saw confusion 😳

MrGFisher
    Free Member

I have a couple of acres of woodland, a new Stihl and felled my first decent sized (65ft Ash) tree a couple of weeks ago. Very steep gradient and nowhere to run if it went pear shaped. Certainly got the adrenaline pumping.

It fell where/how i’d planned/hoped but it did get a bit hung up and after hand winching proved useless, I cut it up and dragged it down to where i wanted it with my landrover.

I’m not in a hurry to do any others.

nedrapier

I’m not in a hurry to do any others.

Not now, maybe. But the fear will wear off and you’ll be left with the same can-do attitude as before, plus the feeling that it was actually OK last time, and that you learnt some lessons to boot.

On the other hand, the wood from a 65ft ash is going to last you a while!

MrOvershoot

So Rich I presume you roped the mini Tykes into this job, make them work for their supper eh 😉

BTW Rich I have a friend who is a proper tree surgeon person with real qualifications in arboreal stuff if you want it done properly after you make a pigs ear of it 😯

MrGFisher
    Free Member

Ned, it won’t last long sadly. Clearview 650 stove with back burner does all my heating and hot water (for now).

After the amount I spent on wood through winter i’ve been splitting and stacking like crazy.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Those leylandii look like ‘fun’. They will defo be intertwined , you may need a vehicle to pull them down and as they’re bordering a pavement you’ll need to be very careful . Get thecaptainto do it!

I do pity the land owners as the stumps will need digging up but the roots will undoubtedly have gone under the pavement.

myti
    Free Member

Is a bit more light in your property worth a life affecting disability? Do you understand about kick back? An experienced tree surgeon was beheaded in my county a few years back. The customer found him hanging dead in the tree due to his saw kicking back at neck height.

Andy-R

The problem with the leylandii is getting rid of the amount of crap they’ll generate, not actually felling them.
    You need someone with a chipper and a truck to blow it into, otherwise you’ll be back and forwards to the amenity site getting rid of them and then they’ll whinge and claim it’s “Commercial waste”, or at least they do around here.

beanieripper
    Free Member

these threads make me laugh, pulling on a rope whilst you put in a back cut is insane, look up a “barberchair” and if you dont know what it is then get someone in..

timber

Little bit of someone else’s Eucalypt isn’t worth the bother, let them sort their own shrub, it’s a fussy firewood.

Leylandii can be a pain, but those aren’t too big. Sned them standing, start burning brash, fell them, lop tops off as you go and sling them on the fire too. Should have a load of 8′ cord wood out of that. Stumps will be a pain though.

In 2 days we cleared a bunch of Leylandii from around a colleagues cottage. Approximately 10 ton of firewood left for them and a brash pile in the meadow that was bigger than their cottage. Had the benefit of a tractor and winch as well as the experience for a few stunt fells.

senorj

After you’ve cleared all those trees neighbours 1,2&3 will owe you quite a few pints.
    I’d be tempted to let the pro’s do it and go riding as well.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Chainsawtreefellingtrackworld – neighbour has asked me to chop some stuff…’ is closed to new replies.