Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Chainsawerists
  • Merak

After much handringing I now have a chain saw.

I need to cut a wad of logs for my Burner. They are all too big to fit, 500mm or so they want to be about 300

Should I use some sort of jig?

Fanks

molgrips
    Free Member

Chainsawyers.

jimjam
    Free Member

Chainsologists.

lotto
    Free Member

Just cut in half your current logs. For future Google ‘magnetic woodcutters helper’ Then make your own. I got a telescopic magnetic bolt retrieval thing from Halfords. £4. Width of a pen and extends plenty. Pierce a plastic milk carton lid and bingo. Set to desired length.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Yup. Stop the logs rolling around on the floor and having to put yer foot on it to stop it moving.

I made one out of 4 lengths of 3×2. 2 x About 18 inches long, parallel about 10 inches apart, wide enough for the log to sit on and not move, but not so wide that the logs sit on the floor between them and rolls around.

Then screw the other two bits of 3×2 screw on as cross members. Flip it over and get cracking. Or chainsawing.

Just saw them in half half way through, turn it over and finish off.

As the jig is made of scrap don’t worry about the odd little chain Nick.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Google log horse or chainsaw horse.

I still haven’t bothered to make one, I just pile up a few pallets to a good working height and lay the logs on that, cut between struts, keep away from nails, and Chuck the top pallet out for a new one occasionally after it gets chewed up. I think this is probably quicker as I can pile several logs on top my makeshift work table, cut, cut, cut, then put the saw down and repeat. A ‘saw horse is more one log at a time.

mattsccm
    Free Member

4 posts in ground. Drop a pile of wood in between and chop in half.

teasel
    Free Member

I cut a large pile of logs slightly thicker than you have by plunge cutting them in half where they sat.

It takes a bit of practice but it’s a quick way of getting the job done. Maybe get someone to show you how to do it before taking the…plunge.

Edit : Wear protection!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

What use is a plunge cut on small logs that are rolling around your feet? If the logs are secured you can just slice them side on without the added danger!

thecaptain
    Free Member

The thing you can get on eBay for about 30 quid is magic. Yes I know you can make your own out of 2 by 4s but this has shiny metal tubes which the saw will slide off and which hold a huge heap of logs at one time. Honestly everyone who walks past while I’m using it on the drive has been impressed with how efficient it is.

That screwfix thing looks utterly shit in comparison.

Edit: searching on “bulk log stand” will get you what you are looking for.

timber

Sounds a massive faff, get a bigger log burner.

teasel
    Free Member

small logs

500mm

I read it as the diameter but obviously it’s not*. Assumption being the mother of all **** ups and all that.

Whatever. Don’t plunge if you don’t know what you’re doing…

🙂

*Not that a plunge would be useful in that event anyway. For some reason I envisioned 500mm diameter logs that needed cutting to a shorter length. Weird.

Merak

No plunging will take place, I will tentatively mince through each log until I build confidence.

thecaptain has called it

Ta

teasel
    Free Member

As for small logs that need steadying – I have a sprung toothed saw horse. Not sure where you’d get something similar as it was given to me.

I have a stand that I’ve attached a length of chain on a hammock spring so I can pull it taught over a group of small diameter logs. An easy mod to a homemade or wooden horse.

No plunging will take place

Good call.

PePPeR

Just buy one of these and a fence post to mount it too, set it up so you cut the logs in half and you can drill several sets of holes for different lengths, by far the best kit I’ve ever used.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291030595815

thecaptain
    Free Member

That’s the thing though I have one with just a pair of uprights not 4.

Incidentally a day course intro to chainsawing is also money well spent, it will save you from such idiocy as putting one foot on a log while poking at it with the saw…

teasel
    Free Member

Incidentally a day course intro to chainsawing is also money well spent

Definitely worth considering for those getting into using one.

I read a thread last year – not sure of the forum – in which a guy had done exactly that but in a stand. No blood but damn close.

Made my balls shrivel.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member
    yetidave
    Free Member

This is what I use, just stack a load in and cut away, no rolling, no plunge cutting, don’t usually cut too deep and nick the bottom plate.

richmars

I made a wooden version of the Oregon one above. Means you can nick it with much damage.

thecaptain
    Free Member

What was the problem PP? Mine is a bit wobblier than I’d like and I had to drill new holes to move the uprights but it’s had a lot of use and makes short work of my piles of awkwardly shaped branches and bigger logs (up to the diameter of the jaws which is about as much as I can lift anyway).

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Chainsawerists’ is closed to new replies.