Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Chainsaw recommendations please
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

Got a big pile of timber acting as a fire-hazard in a client's building, and need to cut it down to size to make it more manageable to move to an exterior location.

Quickest way I can see to reduce it is to use a chainsaw (no power supply in building, so electric-powered saw options are non-starters, literally).
    There's one in Homebase for £99, with the brand name Sovereign (got a feeling that may be Homebase's own).
    Any one got any input on this?
    Is it good value?

Never used one before, but it looks okay to use.
    I don't wish to be joining the Derek-Starship Support thread with the mother of all cuts, mind you, but c'mon. helpful advice welcomed.

Thank you.

PS Ice-hockey masks not supplied, so where might I find one o' those? 😈

donald
    Free Member

Put an add in the paper?

Cheap firewood, buyer collects.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Where are you? I've got three sitting around waiting to be used. Don't want the wood, but a few beer tokens would suffice in lieu of petrol money.

Pigface
    Free Member

Stihl but saws can really bite back so beware. Get some one to collect as suggested above.

stumpyjon

The protective clothing will cost more than the saw. I'd rather buy a geny and run a chop saw off it.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

A chainsaw for £99 will be totally pants. Find a local bloke with a chainsaw and get him in for a few hours

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Wood type: MDF/pallet style racking shelves

Drac

Advertisers it for free buyer collects it'll soon go, offer it to the local bonfire organisers for free collection. Shame it's Glasgow as just installed in a log burner but that said I have about 2 tonne of wood I need to collect. 😯

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Not sure clients want people on site to collect.
    Had trouble with unwanted visitors in the past, scoping building for later nocturnal visits to lighten the building of copper pipes/wiring and other 'scrap' valuables.

Wait, maybe if they know I've a chainsaw, they'll think twice…

Drac

Would your clients be happy with you using a chainsaw without training?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Sorry, too far away. That stuff is awkward to cut. You end up with it falling all over the place as you cut bits off – difficult to balance. Also watch out for all sorts of nails etc in the wood which will knacker your chain.

You'll also want oil and a mixing bottle for your two stroke mix. And chain oil.

It would be simpler just to find a guy "down the pub" who'll cut it up for you.

Drac

Aye good point about the nails it'll kick the chainsaw straight at you and there scary things.

TooTall
    Free Member

As long as you can afford the time off work when you stick the thing in your leg, crack on.

Sub it out to someone who does that sort of thing for a living. Chainsaws are dangerous – especially if you are not trained, safety clothing equipped and properly insured for the job. Or would your employers be happy with that?

donald
    Free Member

I suspect it may not be legal to use a chainsaw for work without adequate training and insurance.

pjt201
    Free Member

there's nothing in the law preventing it, however if he has an accident the hse will come down on the employer like a sack of bricks.

bent_udder
    Free Member

If it's pallets, then maybe an axe and a jemmy might be a good way to break it up. It's how I get my kindling. It doesn't take too long to break them down, but I suppose it depends on how many you've got to sort. Regardless, as said above, I'd be really careful about using a chainsaw on anything with nails or screws in it – very bad news. How about a petrol driven circular saw? Will probably be quicker, too.

Drac

there's nothing in the law preventing it, however if he has an accident the hse will come down on the employer like a sack of bricks.

Yup can't see them liking that at all.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Hmmm. All good advice.
    I kinda prefer the circular saw option too, but the axe/jemmy option also appeals.

Decisions, decisions.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Chainsaws – Husqvarna/Jonsered or Stihl

The comments about nails etc are very true – perhaps look at this
    http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/whatson/glasgowwoodrecycling.php

smiffy

Bow saw, claw'mer and nailbar are you friends with pallets, boots and gloves a good idea with lots of nails about.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

smiffy – I reckon that's the way forward.
    The labourer assisting me said he'd some man-boobs to get rid of anyway, so that'll do the trick I reckon.

smiffy

Good luck, Mike.

Kuco

My biggest concern about hitting a nail is that if f*cks the chain up a treat. Oh and isn't MDF dust dangerous to your health/

MikeT-23
    Free Member

All done now, using a bit of chainsaw (seemed rubbish at first, then by the end of the day it was almost the proverbial hot knife….), a bit of fubar (perfect blend of claw hammer and jemmy), a bit of axe, and a lot of swearing.
    Man's work.
    Sorted.

woodsman
    Free Member

I use a Stihl for what it's worth.

I don't think it's a job for a chainsaw, pallets with nails in and shity mdf, buy a bow saw and get to, treat it as a workout! You can probably snap up that mdf crap.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Chainsaw recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.