Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Chainsaw question
  • cudubh

I suspect this is a question that will display my great ignorance of things mechanical. The saw starts fine, and idles OK but when I give it throttle it dies. Might it be carb adjustment? I spent a while twiddling with the carb adjustment not really knowing what I was doing and have failed to fix the problem. Simple ideas welcome because that’s all I might be able to cope with. If it makes any difference its a cheapy Chinese saw. Thanks.

leebaxter
    Free Member

That sounds like the choke is still on. Is it smoking a bit?

richmars

Do you use the choke to start it?

leebaxter
    Free Member

Take air filter off, and check choke is fully swinging from across the air inlet.

JoeG
    Free Member

Varnish in the carb from old fuel?

Clogged fuel filter?

Clogged spark arrester ?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s overfueling,.

greeble
    Free Member

Chain too tight?

Stoner
    Free Member

could be one of many things from too rich on the High adjuster to blocked filters.

What brand?

If stihl, some pointers here:
    http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/chainsaws/46716-stihl-ms-230-a.html

richmars

What brand?

Cheap Chinese according to OP

Stoner
    Free Member

ah.
    Part of me doubts there’s much in the way of screws for carb settings, so start with filters and work up the fuel line from there.

cudubh

Wow, I guess everybody is on STW tonight. I didn’t expect so many replies so quickly.

I don’t think the choke is staying on. I took the air filter off to see the screws for the carb adjustment and it looked like it was off when I pushed the over back in after starting it.

There is fresh fuel in it now but there was some sitting in it for a few months. I drained it and replaced it with fresh but the old stuff might have caused a problem. I took the fuel filter out and followed the instructions for cleaning it. Don’t know what a spark arrester is, I really am not awfully practical.

I don’t think the chain is too tight. I adjusted the idle setting too and when it was high the chain was running.

Stoner, I’ll have a look at that link for ideas but yeah its a cheapy Chinese job. The local place that sells Still and Honda stuff just laughed when I asked them to look at it for me.

ski
    Free Member

Another thing to add to the list above.

Is the fuel new?

If its old, try swapping for new, old fuel has done what you describe to me in the past.

[opps] beat me to it 😉

cudubh

Oops double post. Can’t even get that right tonight.

tymbian
    Free Member

will it run without the air-filter on? have you let it run long enough ( warm-up ) before you pull the throttle?

cudubh

It will idle with the air filter off, dies when I give it throttle. I let it warm up for a few minutes, and had to restart it a few times so I think it was fully warmed up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Chainsaw question’ is closed to new replies.