Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Chainsaw Newbie Advice
  • Freester

Right then. Moved house back in the winter and I’m doing my best to sort the garden out. At least get it in some semblance of order. The garden (or the house) hasn’t seen 5 years of TLC whilst it was occupied by tenants.

It’s a semi. The boundary with the adjoining neighbour hasn’t been touched for years. There are a number of bushes / shrubs that are shooting up pretty high now. Think Elder / Alder / Spiky red bastard things of various decriptions. All up to around 3 metres high.

Now I’ve been chipping away at this stuff with secaturs / saws / hedge trimmers / long loppers for the last few weeks a few hours a weekend and now I’ve got it all “under control” I’m just looking at it thinking… “if I just ‘prune’ it well hard and get it all to around 6ft…”.

Then I remember when I cleared out all my old man’s stuff he had an electric chainsaw. A Stihl something or other. It works. Or at least it spins. This would really make it simple to lop everything down to a decent height. Or would it…?

Being a safety conscious kind of guy I’m not going to launch into using this thing without doing any kind of research. I’ve googled etc safe use of chainsaws but I’m not talking about felling massive oaks. This is out of control shrubbery but a far bit of wood is 10cm wide. Is this really the right tool for the job? Will certain death ensue…? Shall I leave it alone? Or if I go into this carefully will it help and assist the job I am trying to do?

shortyj15

Where are you based?

neilnevill
    Free Member

chainsaws like most power tools are safe if used correctly. however there is no such thing as a minor accident with a chainsaw.

like all power tools, the ppe is important, specs and earmuffs arent really enough but for a one off job…hmmm a foresters helmet, chaps and chainsaw gloves can be done without…but the risk of a serious accident increases.

i’d say if you a competent with power tools then the saw will be safe if you are sensible

richmars

I’d use a good pruning saw, not chain. By the time you get all the safety kit on you’d have done it by hand.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Chainsaw is most useful for this type of work. Get a new chain, make sure any oils are topped up, brake works and go for it.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Honestly, 10cm stuff you’re probably better off doing it by hand, especially if 3m means you’re thinking of ladders and a high reach. I very rarely use my chainsaw for pruning.

CaptainSlow

With a decent green wood saw, 10cm is no bother. If working at height (above chest height) I’d use a green saw. I’ve got a £10 draper jobbie that I use for that and for ground work where you wouldn’t want to ruin your chainsaw.

TimothyD
    Free Member

I’d do what most of the other people have said, find some thick gloves and perhaps something vaguely protective for your arms if entangling with spikey things, and go up a ladder with a bow saw with a sharp blade.

It’ll be good for the arm and shoulder muscles for mtb-ing if you’re able to switch hands occasionally. 🙂

Freester

Cheers people all good advice. Definitely won’t be using the darn thing up a ladder. Just to thin out a few of the thicker ‘trunks’ at a lower level (under shoulder height).

Found the manual for the thing online. Chain needs tensioning (or possibly a new one if I can’t tension it any more). It needs some chain oil for sure.

Keep the good advice coming.

twisty

Machete for smaller stuff and loppers for bigger stuff would be my weapons of choice.

glasgowdan
    Free Member
    noltae
    Free Member

+1 for Silky ..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Chainsaw trousers, every set on the farm had a glad I was wearing those tear on them…

unklehomered
    Free Member

Silky Zubat.

Job done.

timbur
    Free Member

Silkys bite as well :O)

Cheaper than a chainsaw but god the cuts bleed well!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My favourite trail clearing tool.

thecaptain
    Free Member

For anything moderately tall, you’ll want a pole saw – much safer and easier than using ladders. Some kit (eg Wolf-Garten) can be used as a hand saw or swapped onto an extendable pole of up to 4m which got and find very useful.

br
    Free Member

Safety equipment on, feet on the ground, don’t turn the chainsaw on – that’s the safest way 🙂

But for 100mm, just use a handsaw.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Silkys bite as well :O)

Indeed, unforgiving of hubris and carelessness the silky is.

timbur
    Free Member

Indeed, and they like to jump in the cut when you get complacent with them 😳

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Chainsaw Newbie Advice’ is closed to new replies.