Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Chainsaw courses and/or operators in Cardiff area
  • SaxonRider

I have a shedload of cedar in my back garden to be cut for the woodburner that I have yet to touch, and I think it would probably be worth my while taking a chainsaw course.

I have looked some up, but it is not as straightforward as I expected. I just want to use a saw safely in my backgarden, and possibly eventually, fell small trees in woodland (but the latter would definitely be at some later date).

Does anyone on here have any suggestions for an appropriate course that they have experience or awareness of?

Equally, does anyone on here live in the Cardiff area, and can use a chainsaw safely? If so, you’d be most welcome at my house.

project
    Free Member

When i was looking at doing a chain saw course, i was advised to google image search chainsaw injuries, put me off, training is required though.

A few weeks ago talking to a paramedic, his collegues had attended a chainsaw accident the day before, chap had cut 2/3 through his arm, after falling off ladder.

Try the local horticultural.agricultural colleges for courses.

billysugger
    Free Member

It’s dead simple if you’re on the ground and a sane person and what you are logging is straight in front of you at right angles to your body.

Risk is increased when you’re cutting in awkward positions/towards yourself/up trees. I’ve logged loads of things with an 18 inch bar’d Stihl chainsaw on the ground. Keep concentrating on what you’re doing, put the dog and kids inside and crack on.

If not enrol on a cs30/31 course but it’ll cost you £500+ and from memory takes at least a week.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

A couple of years ago I was in the garden when I noticed my neighbour on a ladder, up a tree trimming branches with a saw he’d just picked up at B+Q in t-shirt and shorts. His concession to safety was a pair of sunglasses to stop saw dust getting in his eyes.

I offered to give him a hand (I have chaps, boots, gloves, helmet jacket etc), but he laughed it off as being over protective. After a while I simply couldn’t watch as the saw was kicking all over the place as he reached further and further, combined with the ladder was slipping. Don’t think he injured himself, but I am waiting for the shallow end of the gene pool to get a little less dense the next time he tries it….

timbur
    Free Member

The TCV do cheap courses to get you CS30 ticket. For basic chainsaw use that will do you. (formerly the BTCV)

SaxonRider

Thanks timbur, but can you clarify the acronym TCV? 😳

EDIT: Irrelevant. Just found it.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Have a look at outdoorwales.co.uk.

They don’t have any on their website at the mo but they certainly used to do them

timber

CS30 is what you want for maintenance and cross cut, don’t necassarily have to do the assessment if you don’t intend to use it for work. 3 days should be sufficient.

Blatant plug for a friend – try Usk Valley Training, John is pretty relaxed, but will see you know what you need to know, based out of Talgarth and trains on some of our ground near Brecon sometimes. Has loan kit if you need it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Chainsaw courses and/or operators in Cardiff area’ is closed to new replies.