Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • chainsaw blade oil is it ok for bikes?
  • jacob46
    Free Member

Considering they cut through worse conditions does anyone use chain blade oil on their bike chain in wet conditions?

I’ve never seen a lumber jack with a bottle of muc off or silverline wet lube!!

£5 a litre professional blade oil. Bargain.

richmars

Yes, I use it. Seems to work.

scaredypants

stuff I’ve used was v heavy/sticky – lovely on the SS, not sure about gears

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jacob46
    Free Member

Mite give it a go. Must work!! The speed those chains spin at.

Keef
    Free Member

been using it for years SS only,and use sparingly,it’s fookin messy stuff !

jonba
    Free Member

Works for me. Had a small oil bottle so thinned it back with a little white spirit I had lying around. 6 parts oil to 1 white spirit roughly.

Made it easier to apply more sparingly since the white spirit will evaporate. Use it very sparingly on my geared bikes (Cross and full suss) apply liberally on my commuter and SS since it only lasts for a short time before being washed off anyway.

Don’t use it on my road bike, have nice lube for that but then I rarely ride that in the wet.

kayak23

It’s not ideal as it’s far too thick. If you apply it to a turning chain it tends to ‘spider web’ all over the shop. Probably best to thin it as above.
    I tend to put a dash into a rag and run the chain through my hand instead of the dribble method.
    I can’t see how they justify the cost of bike lube to be honest. Overpriced like most bike stuff sadly..

faustus

As a chainsaw-ist myself, i’ve pondered this before and concluded that it’s good quality oil but too thick and not suitable. On the saw it is there to lubricate and provide cooling, as the combination of chain tension and circa 70mph chain speed creates a lot of friction and heat and it thins out a lot at operating temperature. It is optimised for this use, and so the much slower speeds and lower friction of cycling mean its useful properties don’t come into play so much. As mentioned above, it is also very slippery as it’s designed to be flung off at a fairly high rate, so won’t last long on the chain and easily washed off. I agree that bike oil is overpriced, but it pays to have the right mix of viscosity/stickyness/friction reduction for the specified application…

cr500dom
    Free Member

I use scottoil, can get it from most motorcycle dealers, way cheaper than cycle lubes, works just as well and with out the sticky black gunge issue too

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What’s wrong with bike chain oil? A Bottle of wet lube lasts me a winter and costs a fiver. Ditto dry summer lube, and road lube lasts a year.

I tend to put a dash into a rag and run the chain through my hand instead of the dribble method.

Nice shiny clean chain, but does any lube actualy get inside the rollers where it’s needed?

Having said all that, putoline chain wax is by far the best stuff ever, just a PITA to apply properly (deep fat fryer apperantly helps).

smiffy

I use nothing else, the semi-synthetic Sthil oil is not All thick, and 15 quids worth runs a village full of bikes and saw chains for several years.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘chainsaw blade oil is it ok for bikes?’ is closed to new replies.