• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Chainsaw advice
  • cultsdave
    Free Member

About to go down the wood burning stove route and will be needing a chainsaw. I have already started collecting logs and borrowed a petrol Ryobi one for the task and it did the job well.
    Thinking of either petrol or battery powered ones and I am looking for recommendations on whats good. Are the battery ones powerful enough and do they run for reasonable lengths of time? I assume they are much quieter?
    Discounting a corded one as that restricts to garden use only.

Thanks folks

kilo

Small stihl petrol one for me been faultless

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I’d recommend a smaller petrol stihl or husqvarna and don’t forget the safety gear (trousers/boots and helmet/visor)

jimjam
    Free Member

cultsdave

Are the battery ones powerful enough and do they run for reasonable lengths of time? I assume they are much quieter?

Yes and yes, if you buy a good one.

thecaptain
    Free Member

No experience but I guess one limitation of battery is if you are out scrounging you are limited in what you can snaffle in a single trip. Plus waiting for a recharge. How much energy in a battery compared to a tank of petrol?

But most importantly, don’t forget safety gear and training.

Sui
    Free Member
    cultsdave
    Free Member

Cheers JimJam, any suggestions on a good one?

welshfarmer

I have my little Stihl 023 up for sale for £100 on a farm forum if it is of any interest. Great little saw bought new when I lived in Germany, but I bought a bigger one 4 years back and don’t use it any more.

jimjam
    Free Member

cultsdave – Member

Cheers JimJam, any suggestions on a good one?

I absolutely love my Husqvarna 536li. I tried the Stihl and Ryobi before buying they felt like toys, they may have better models out now though. I work part time helping my friend who’s a tree surgeon and the saw gets a lot of work. I also have a 20kw boiler stove that I heat the house with.

Pros – Always starts instantly, no matter how long it’s been sitting. Quiet but more importantly is silent once you’re off the throttle. A petrol saw is still very loud just idling. Lighter, doesn’t use petrol and only oils the bar when the chain is running. Also the chain doesn’t run on compared to a petrol saw and kickback is pretty much non existent.

With my batteries it’ll run the chain for 25-30 mins with no resistance, but the harder you work the saw the quicker it’ll eat the battery. It cuts every bit as good as a petrol saw. Chain speed is comparable to a £400 petrol Husqvarna.

Cons – price would be the main one. And batteries can’t compare yet with a full tabk of petrol. You can of course have multiple batteries and generally speaking you’ll have charged your second battery by the time you’ve exhausted the one you’re using.

sweepy
    Free Member

I’m currently rebuilding my old husky 262xp. If I cant get it sorted then i’ll be going for a husky 435, about £250.

Andy-R

sweepy – Member
    I’m currently rebuilding my old husky 262xp

Nice – my 272xp is my most used saw. I’m a big fan of the older Huskys.

siwhite
    Free Member

Either buy a Stihl or a Husky saw, depending on which brand your nearest machinery parts place sells. I can’t speak for Husky, but I have restored a number of old Stihl machines and virtually all parts are available next day through a dealer.

Expect to pay as much for PPE as you pay for your saw. Don’t automatically buy the cheapest stuff they sell – more expensive PPE is thinner, lighter and cooler. Using a saw in the summer is about the hottest thing on earth.

BTW – I have a spare pair of Stihl chainsaw trews which I don’t use any more – if you are a 34″ or smaller waist you could have them for £30 posted…

jimjam
    Free Member

siwhite

BTW – I have a spare pair of Stihl chainsaw trews which I don’t use any more – if you are a 34″ or smaller waist you could have them for £30 posted…

I might take those off you if op doesn’t.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Cheers folks, looks like the decent battery ones are a bit out my price range. Was hoping for less than £200 which seems unrealistic.

granny_ring

3rd inline for the troose please

househusband

Cheers folks, looks like the decent battery ones are a bit out my price range. Was hoping for less than £200 which seems unrealistic.

What about an electric chainsaw..? If your log collection is at home and within reach of mains electric then it might make sense, and they’re certainly way less than £200.

dantsw13

I was in a similar position. I bought an electric corded for home use on an ALDI special for under £50. For out & about I carry a bow saw with a proper wet wood blade – easy AND quiet.

dantsw13

The Aldi electric has an Oregon chain, and has easily cut 10-12″ oak logs, and disposed of the whole cherry tree in my garden – went up the tree with the bow saw(much safer!), then chopped the logs with the electric.

chorlton
    Free Member

I bought a corded one and wish I’d got the small petrol Husky I was looking at. I need a long extension lead which is something else to be careful about on top of the saw itself. Not exactly much quieter in use anyway.
    And not as manly. 🙂

matt_outandabout

I have a Bosch with Oregon bar and chain – its worked really well for many years, now infrequently, and does dispose of small trees easily with a sharp chain.
    Do make sure you get some safety gear and half and idea how to use it. I am wary of mine, having had a good few lessons from properly trained people at work.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Proper chainsaw training is probably £600-800 but very useful and possibly life saving.

In terms of a saw, I find Stihl klunky and rough compared to husqvarna and echo. A 12″ or 14″ bar on a small petrol saw is what I’d go for in your shoes. Second hand for under that £200. Then a good pair of goggles, helmet for kickback protection, ear muffs, chaps, gloves and boots.

jimjam
    Free Member

glasgowdan

Second hand for under that £200.

The second hand market is awash with fake Stihls and Husqvarnas which the inexperienced user won’t spot so be wary of Gumtree, Ebay, car boot sales etc.

Gunz
    Free Member

I bought a Mccolluch for about £120 a few years ago. It’s not as fancy as the recommendations above but it does the job for the days I spend on my mate’s farm logging with him and certainly performs no worse that the other blokes’ Stihls and Huskys. I’ve been waiting for it to break so I can get something fancy but it just keeps on going.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Chainsaw advice’ is closed to new replies.