Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Chainrings help
  • kjrogers

currently have a 40/28 shimano xt chainset on my hardtail that i’ve put slicks on and I’m using onroad due to an injury preventing me riding offroad.

I’m finding that the gearing is a bit low on the top end and regularly running in 18-20th gear. I would like to change up to 44/32. 44 is the biggest ring the bike can take.

I can’t find anyway of doing this as any 44 tooth rings I find are for 9 speed triples.

Anyone have any ideas ? (apart from xtr race 44/32 chainset, can’t quite justify another £200)

Thanks

twisty

Does a chainring bigger than 44T hit the frame or is there limited adjustment on the front mech or something? Because I’ve bought a Shimano 105 double hollowtech II crank for £50 before, for example.

Otherwise any 104mmBCD chainring of a suitable width for the chain should work.

pembo6
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure you will find the 9sp chainring will work fine.
    I’ve used both 8sp and 9sp chainrings with 10 speed chain. And I’ve used 10sp chainrings with an 8sp chain and rear cassette. All worked perfectly. The inside measurement of the chains is the same. It’s only the chain plates that are thinner, so the outside measurement is narrower. Hence the narrower spacing on the cassettes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kjrogers

bigger than 44tooth will hit the chainstay unfortunately.

The 44 tooth rings that I can find are 9 speed from a triple chainset so didn’t think that would fit my double properly.

would a 105 crank fit a mtb bottom bracket shell width ?

pembo6
    Free Member

Maybe a really dumb question……. Why wouldn’t a chainring from a triple crankset fit a double crankset? Assuming same BCD.

lovewookie

to ensure your chainring bolts are in the recessed part of the chainring, you’d need to run the triple outer ring back to front and remove the chain stop pin on it, if it has one. (the recesses are designed to be on the outside of a triple chainring)

otherwise you’ll have the female part of the chainring bolt standing proud of the chainring, which may foul the chain when trying to change to and from the smaller ring.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Chainrings help’ is closed to new replies.